Cuduno Mig-60

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Again I dont need to you tell me hardwired tube sockets are better
No. The best 9 pin preamp sockets are the plastic PCB mount Belton, no question. 12 pin mount, excellent contact materials and well damped. The plastic material ain't so great in 500V+ power tube sockets, though... Still, the large power tube PC mount Belton keeps a large distance between pins 2 and 3, and arcing between those two (hum balance turned to far, hand wired terminals too close) has sidelined many amp, and they don't come back without changing the carbon tracked socket.

If voltages are below 500, I'd rather have their PC power tube sockets as well. These can be chassis mounted with standoffs.

Hand wiring just adds labor cost = higher retail price.

It's not going to be more durable than a PROPERLY engineered amplifier with good parts.

Sure, there are many issues with mass manufactured products of all stripes.

Failure from poor application does not prove inappropriate technology.

Using inappropriate technology for the application does not make for a better product, even if it costs more.

The amp sounds great, lots of crunch available where as the mig 50 and 100 are hiwatt clean.

My boss bought about 60 marantz receiver's to keep the shop alive during covid so I am trying to get those out which means I can be more selective on what I work on as I am overloaded.

If I fix an amp and it keeps coming back , it makes me look bad and also they tell their friends which can cut down on future business and hurt the shops rep.

Its true Boogie are a PITA to work on and Ive had one or two that bounced back before I had to admit there were issues I couldnt solve , Boogie F50 was one model that often became problematic .
I had one customer who insisted on using JJ 6L6's because of some BS he read online ,
I installed the tubes but made it clear there was no comeback , sure enough he came back because it wasnt right ,but I had given him fair warning .

I fixed a few Uli Bugera amps alright but its hardly worth the effort .

In the guitar amp repair trade its pretty hard to simulate gig conditions on the test bench .
Although I do get reffered work from music shops I never used them as middlemen between me and the customer , that can become a disaster when shit goes wrong .

try replacing a toroid pwr xfmr on an Egnater

right now i am on a Sunn beta bass with a bad hex inverter for input jack switching, cmos

obsolete CD4069 natl semi , Jameco to the rescue

andi got a PV studio chorus 210 with the weird package TO-126 SJE 5531 which crosses to a mje-243 case 77 and the MC-1436 hi voltage opamps,

stalling out on the above so i don't have to work on the Akai MG1212 that just walked in the door,

Attachments

• akai.jpg
    akai.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Migs are great amps if you like to buy tubes. The fact that it was designed by a tube supplier is telling. :)

I gigged with a Mig-100 for 10 years once I swapped a torroid PT that dropped the B+ down out of Tesla coil territory.

I got some st hex inverter chips in today and the darn things work! So amp is bolted up, Johnny from Christian Mistress is going to pick it up.

Also got some ne5532 and I should have got 5534

Sunn Beta is one of the few amps where you can combine two channels so you can get some interesting sounds by combining a clean and dirty signal together.

Back