D7 Custom Microphone Capsule Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fellini said:
I highly recommend this capsule.
We had the opportunity to compare Dan's D7 to one of the most renowned independent capsules in the market today, in the same configuration, being the capsule the only variable. The D7 immediately showed more tridimensionality and mid range authority without being harsh or strident. Needless to say the D7 is staying in the mic permanently.
My configuration is D7 capsule, Poctop's D-47 dual tube, AMI Bv08 Classic,  WE 408a and Aputis body. This mic sounds amazing.

Thanks For the post , I am glad you are happy, 
here is a little Custom order I am wrapping up for a customer ,  ;)
58d02819948b2.jpg

Thought I'd post this here also-
After finishing my m49 with your d7 capsule, I've got to say it sounds fantastic. I have built Mics with Beesneez k7's  (2- Mk7's, u47 with Ef14,  Beesneez k12 in Elam 251, and vintage oktava mk13 capsule in Oliver's c12 conversion circuit) and yours seems to beat out all of them.  Larger than life and very smooth balanced. Im very happy with my purchase!

Back to capsule building after a long break ,  :)
Thanks for your patience,
Best,
Dan,

58d02819948de.jpg

micaddict said:
Do you still know how to do it?

;)

Thanks Henk,  Yes indeed After Loosing much of my hair to get to where its at ,
i do remember everytime i look in the mirror  8) :eek:
Best,
Dan,

Welcome back DB.  Guys, this is one of the smoothest M7 variants I have tried.  Less mid push than the Thiersch, and much more of a vintage sound.  Well controlled sibilance too.  A real steal.

Category 5 said:
Welcome back DB.  Guys, this is one of the smoothest M7 variants I have tried.  Less mid push than the Thiersch, and much more of a vintage sound.  Well controlled sibilance too.  A real steal.

Thanks  Shane, i am so proud of it , i actually used it as my new avatar , no to be a pain but i will have to increase the price in a near future at this stage,  considering i am giving away the Capsule mount a this price.  i have have done enough to be able to tell i am not a green anymore  :eek:
:)

duantro said:
Thought I'd post this here also-
After finishing my m49 with your d7 capsule, I've got to say it sounds fantastic. I have built Mics with Beesneez k7's  (2- Mk7's, u47 with Ef14,  Beesneez k12 in Elam 251, and vintage oktava mk13 capsule in Oliver's c12 conversion circuit) and yours seems to beat out all of them.  Larger than life and very smooth balanced. Im very happy with my purchase!

Thanks for the nice words, Appreciate it ,
Best,
Dan,

MicDaddy said:
Thanks for the heads up on the GT2B trick, I will try that and get back to you.

you are welcome Ben,
I do have the short mount version now available for the GT2b just in case you need them ,
Best,
Dan,

I have earlier worked with TLM103, Peluso 2247LE, a U87 clone with the original k87 membrane and Røde classic.  I wanted to build a qualitative mic with low noise and therefore I chose a sheops-style transformerless design. After spending hours of research I decided to go with Danys D7 capsule.

It is - without a doubt - difficult to compare this mic to microphones with tubes and transformers. It’s difficult to know exactly what component in a mic gives you that special sound, but whatever it is, the D7 has it. In contrast to the TLM103 which is clinical and somewhat cold, my new D7 mic is very present and honest. It feels extremely warm despite the fact that it has no tubes nor transformers.  Different mics are good for different voices or instruments but of the mics I mentioned above the U87 is my main mic and the D7 my second.

It is certainly a quality membrane for a good price and additionally Dany is very serviceminded and has helped me straighten out some questions while I was building the mic.

Out of curiosity... how might this capsule react in a C12 circuit/body? I have a pair of 460s that have already underwent a number of the usual mods but aren't finding much use. And my soldering station is getting cold ;D.

Posted this on the D-EF47 build thread, but thought I'd post it over here for those considering Dan's capsule.  (You should, it's awesome!)

Wanted to attach some sound files of my D-EF47 with Dan's D7 capsule to show off how awesome this mic is on vocals.  I chose the star-spangled banner since there is a wide dynamic range and because it is open source.  Bear in mind I am much much more of an engineer than a singer, so I apologize for the rough vocal performance, though I think you can get an idea of how the mic stacks up against another awesome mic (U87AI).  I've always found the U87 to be a bit harsh (but not unusable) on male vocalists who have any grit or air/breathiness in their voice.  With the U47, that problem is gone!

I do not own pairs of any nice pres, only singles, so I unfortunately had to use two of my  003's pres, but I think it highlights the differences pretty well.  The files were recorded in my home studio, which is semi treated.  Mic setup is what is seen in the picture.
There is no EQ, compression and I did my best to make the volumes equivalent. I apologize for the "p" sounds on the U47 -that is not the mic, it's because the pop filter I have is too small to cover both. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tvlfqfnavpk57md/AABewubfOTYY0fl5QkyQ1kLEa?dl=0

Attachments

• IMG_2031 (1).JPG
    IMG_2031 (1).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Hello All,
I am curious what has been done about attaching of the capsule mount? I have an MK47 body from Chunger @Studio939 and it has 2 small holes in the top metal plate for typical capsule mounts where the D7 has a single screw for its mount. Are you guys drilling a hole in the middle of the top plate between the 2 existing screw holes or is the D7 mount attached on one side using one of the 2 pre existing holes? I'm sure I can drill the hole in the middle, but I am curious what has been done with some other builds. This is a picture from this thread and it looks like the mount is attached using the hole on the left, but I'm not 100% sure. I Don't know if that would have any effect on the sound at all, that was why I was curious how people are mounting these
Thank you

Attachments

• D7 capsule mounted.jpg
    D7 capsule mounted.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 39
D7 4th Generation of metal work freshly made, only 3 years later. 

IMG_3882_80.jpg

IMG_3940.jpg

Best,
Dan,
http://www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com/Caspsule.html

Latest posts

Back