Damned rodents around here, war has been declared

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive heard it said that the white lab rat is decended from a fighting rat bred in very much the same way Jack Black did his pet variety.Along with the terrier breeds ,the ferret  was the other popular way for pest control here. Rabbit hunting was and probably still is popular . A ferret could easily enter the warren ,the men could net the other entrances and bellies full with rabbit stew were guaranteed for the families of all involved.

The workingmans games were another popular activity back in the day ,this involved the rat catcher being paid for live rats ,a pit would be dug ,all the live rats thrown in ,then bets would be placed on a couple of dogs , the number of rat kills each dog made in the pit would be counted and the winning bets paid accordingly .

Ive heard of a variation on the balance trap and barrel technique I mentioned earlier too ,a small wooden ledge was put in ,just enough for the rat not to drown ,when the next rat dropped into the barrel they'd have to fight for the position on the ledge , the looser would either be killed or drown ,ocassionally the farmer would feed the surviving rat ,just to get him used to it . Over time you ended up with one very mean rat in the barrel ,sometimes two of these barrel rats were put together and wagers were put on the outcome ,sometimes even a ferret and a rat were faught. Another variation on that was you release the big nasty psychotic rat back into the wild ,and he goes and kills all the other male rats he see's and of course any young rats that werent his own offspring , probably keeps the population down in the shorter term ,in the longer term bigger nastier and more agressive rats than you had before seems like the most likely outcome .Of course times have changed and that kind of cruelty isnt allowed anymore under the law.

Cutting areas of scrub and bushes in close proximity to the property , making sure all drains have grills on them ,and sealing up any gaps that could make entrances are the most important things . Ive filled in burrows in the pathway leading to the foundations before ,a handfull of smooth quartz decorative garden stones first ,then pour liquid concrete then a few more stones before finally smoothing over the top with a strong mix concrete again. Burrows further out in the garden I usually shovel dog sh1t into ,then small stones ,then a stone around the size of the burrow whacked down with a bit of timber ,finally earth over the top .

yes if you hire a pro, he will tell you to keep the weeds away from the house, and he will also put two or three traps under your house and check them every three months,  something you can do yourself and save 400 a year.

whenever they start a new housing project of clear land for retail, you will have a spike in the rat problem as they seek out new habitat.

I used to have rodents try to come indoors for the winter until I sealed up all air gaps around plumbing . It doesn't take much gap for a field mouse to squeeze inside.  I find the spray can expanding foam works very effectively.

Mouse free for several years now...

JR

I'm having trouble with usb charger wires and some mains being eaten by a rodent but I don't think my girlfriend would like your solutions...

JS

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-11-14 at 7.36.58 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-11-14 at 7.36.58 PM.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 19
we just bought a 3 foot barn owl online for 50 bucks, coming in from Tanzania, special cross breed trained to pick the rat up, put him down the garbage disposal and flick the switch,  all we have to do is feed him a ribeye steak with Tapatio sauce twice a year,

This 2 models have pretty good reviews and seem to be a all around favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsoVcrFyrF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3izkRmuZ6d0

Whoops said:
This 2 models have pretty good reviews and seem to be a all around favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsoVcrFyrF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3izkRmuZ6d0

Simple ideas that work.

+1

I have plenty of teflon sheets for the non-stick planks in the first link, and in the second link, finally, a use for all those idler rollers I have stripped from various dot matrix and ink jet printers over the years.  :)

As for the water in the bucket, there is a surplus of sulfuric acid here, that should serve to disinfect them quite well, right down to the skeleton. Or lye. Or muriatic acid. Or maybe sulfuric and nitric, do an Alfred Nobel on them and then set them off out back with a blasting cap. Turning nitrated rats into explosive devices really does sound like fun, and a good way to spend an otherwise boring afternoon. 8)

Like the thread title says, war has been declared, and it is personal now.

I also bought one of those enclosed bait feeders yesterday with the serpentine path to exclude anything larger than rodents, and some tasty poison bait within as the prize. Set it near the wife's Camry. The bait should prove tastier than 18 gauge wire. We'll see how that goes.

Gene

Gene Pink said:
I also bought one of those enclosed bait feeders yesterday with the serpentine path to exclude anything larger than rodents, and some tasty poison bait within as the prize. Set it near the wife's Camry. The bait should prove tastier than 18 gauge wire. We'll see how that goes.

News to home from the front line:

Last week I bought three more of those bait feeders for out back, and today I found this. Enough gone to take out a Texas sized rat. Little victories eventually win the battle.

Gene

Attachments

• bait.jpg
    bait.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 14
Ahh yes the 'Warfarin' rat bait , it thins the blood  and makes him thirsty too ,as he drinks his blood preasure drops and drops until the heart can no longer effectively circulate . Its a kinda slow and nasty death ,and you might see a sick one in the vicinity not able to opperate at normal speed ,and generally looking on the way out . I believe some rats have learned to regurgitate the poison .
And yeah you definately dont want any family pets chomping on the bait ,it happened a neighbours dog one time ,luckily the person who put down the bait noticed it was gone and contacted the owner in time ,they rushed the dog to the vet ,got him the antidote and he lived .
Another problem with the poison is it tends to make its way up the food chain ,if something eats the sick rat it gets a bellyful of nasty too.
My method for disposal of dead rodents is just drop them into the septic tank  ,plenty of bacteria in there to break them down and no need to be fooling round with dangerous chemicals.

Squirrel-proof rat baiters?

I don't think so.

Completely chewed off two of three latches, almost like the little bushy tailed bastard knew just how to get into where the bait is.

I found it upside down about 30 feet from where I left it with a red brick on top.

(post one of two)

Attachments

• Not Squirrel Proof.jpg
    Not Squirrel Proof.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 10
Looking around, I notice the perpetrator. Alive, breathing hard, but motionless. And not happy.

A dilemma. Put him out of the misery of a nasty death, as described above by Tubetec. Or on the other hand, since he didn't actually get into the main bait, all he would have got would be some crumbs that shook loose during the attempts of entry.

I let him be.

Next morning, gone. Not a sign of another predator, no cluster of feasting vultures within view.

I like to think he pulled through. One more latch, and he wouldn't have.

Gene

Attachments

• Determined Squirrel.jpg
    Determined Squirrel.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 9
Gene Pink said:
Looking around, I notice the perpetrator. Alive, breathing hard, but motionless. And not happy.

A dilemma. Put him out of the misery of a nasty death, as described above by Tubetec. Or on the other hand, since he didn't actually get into the main bait, all he would have got would be some crumbs that shook loose during the attempts of entry.

I let him be.

Next morning, gone. Not a sign of another predator, no cluster of feasting vultures within view.

I like to think he pulled through. One more latch, and he wouldn't have.

Gene
I shared the story before of the squirrel who got into my house through the air conditioner outer housing.  This was in the middle of winter and I couldn't leave my outside door open all night when he wouldn't take my encouragement to leave.

I finally trapped him in the lower kitchen cupboards. I slipped a rat trap in there with him and retired for the night. The next morning I found him out cold, so deposited him out in my carport to dispose of later.  Later when I checked on him, he was gone without a trace...  I doubt he was carried off by some predator, probably revived and scurried off under his own power.

I have been thinking of buying a pellet gun and taking up target practice on the local squirrels. The enjoy far too many of my pecans, and apples, and......  They are just rats with bushy tails.... 

My neighbor says they are good eating... I will let him have any I get.

JR

joaquins said:
I'm having trouble with usb charger wires and some mains being eaten by a rodent but I don't think my girlfriend would like your solutions...

JS

Try this:

https://www.predatorpeestore.com/mice-problems-bobcat-urine.html

Peppermint oil works very well too. It's of course better inside where it won't wash away. Lavender is also very good at keeping them away.

I would never use poison or the bait stuff you describe above.  Years ago I worked at a studio in quite a rural location.  They had a rodent problem & were using poison.  It definitely works but the victims quite often seemed to die in some place that you couldn't remove them from easily like behind plaster board walls where they would rot & stink the place out !  So personally I would use something that just killed them immediately.

That smell of death and decay is instantly recogniseable ,and definately not something you want in your house , I much prefer the traps than chemical warfare ,which as history proves often has much more serious unintended consequences down the line.
If you look back into the history of pesticides it wasnt long after their invention that some bright spark wanted to use it to exterminate humans . Apparently a Russian military man who captured a couple of hundred German troops in the late 1800's and didnt know what to do with them  was the first to try this modernised chemical warfare ,of course lobbing the stinking carcass of a dead beast over the walls of your enemies fort must be as old as the hills .

The Dr Olson case is well worth a look for reference ,I believe he was involved in the early Anthrax experiments ,and we all saw how that backfired when letters with the weaponised strain was turning up in offices in Wash .DC. I remember reading some documents about these experiments ,basically they would infect animals such as rabbits with the regular strain of anthrax from the ground ,they found that each time the bacteria passed through a host it became more virulent and dangerous to the critters under test ,for a finish one of the workers at this facility got infected by accident ,I believe the guy survived ,but the strain that passed through him was what eventually became the weaponised variety .

Poison is not good, because the rodent can die somewhere in the house and it will smell bad. Also, someone's cat might eat a poisoned rodent and die.

Good trap is 'walk the plank' with a bucket of water - it can kill/catch dozen of mice every night, and it's very cheap.

Back