Dangers of AI

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One running joke is that the easy way to fight against the robot overloads from taking over is to pour a glass of water on them... 🤔

Similary to defeat the AI overloads from taking over, ask them to solve a math question. ;)

JR

We had vacuum tubes in nuclear warheads, what's the big deal with AI? Hal the computer? That was sci fi. Technocracy was written a long time ago. We are Kate to the game.

I am going g to leave spell checks in as I find them amusing. Sometimes.

www said:
Jack Krawczyk, a senior director on Google’s Gemini team, had admitted on Wednesday that the model’s image generator – which is not available in the UK and Europe – needed adjustment.
Gemini illustrations of 1943 German soldiers

Usually only the winners get to rewrite history but the google generative AI images (Gemini) provided for WWII german officers suggests a major disconnect with reality because of an intrinsic DEI bias.

There are more obvious errors.

JR

I've noticed some YouTube shorts and such are using AI generated people to AI speak about the piece. It's rather off putting.
It's a bit like when Kindle has the kindle read the book to you. You get the information, but it's rather weird.

Similarly to defeat the AI overloads from taking over, ask them to solve a math question.
Tell them to show their work.
Aside: Above makes me think of Edward Witten.
One or two folks have quipped that his work on string theory might have been a ruse, meant to entice a generation of math geniuses away from doing real science.

Wonder if the focus on "misinformation" has anything to do with all the AI stuff and an attempt to train it.. seems like it would be akin to messing with mother nature...but idk... ...Not sure that's a complete thought... Something along those lines.....

Wonder if the focus on "misinformation" has anything to do with all the AI stuff and an attempt to train it.. seems like it would be akin to messing with mother nature...but idk... ...Not sure that's a complete thought... Something along those lines.....
AI is biased by the (woke?) humans who coded it..... These examples of historical inaccuracies caused by DEI substitutions has resulted in Google withdrawing the Gemini chatbot for now...

History is too important to let AI rewrite it to satisfy DEI goals.

JR

AI is biased by the (woke?) humans who coded it..... These examples of historical inaccuracies caused by DEI substitutions has resulted in Google withdrawing the Gemini chatbot for now...

History is too important to let AI rewrite it to satisfy DEI goals.

JR
Just search for the head dude running the Gemini "AI" project and read his various public social media comments. It's apparent what he made and why. Typical ideologue with zero pragmatism and a lot of poorly conceived notions.

Google Senior Director of Product Jack Krawczyk

He should be mercilessly mocked for what he created.

https://notthebee.com/article/my-du...heck-and-people-have-the-receipts-to-prove-it

Last edited:
Not exactly a danger from AI, but a new technology worth inspection. I recently heard about antimicrobial plastic (PVC) tubing. This might be a good idea for the beer lines coming from my keg.

Apparently the plastic tubing is impregnated with the antimicrobial agent. The one brand I found is vague about what they are using but I have found variants using silver or other metals, and some using organic(?) materials.

I wonder is there are any cases of silver resistant microbes that evolved to survive that threat.

New technology is often a double edges sword but this seems like a win at least for now.

JR

Also off topic but I didn't know that white mould on cheese is a recent genetic selection. Soft (brie and camembert style) cheeses looked different pre WWII.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/food-drink/350227653/are-worlds-favourite-oozy-cheeses-danger-extinction

Extract:

“There is a famous painting of French brie from 1888,” he says. “The cheese is blue and orange. Back then, these cheeses were made from a fungus called Penicillium biforme. From this mutated the white mould fungi,” he says.

“Before then, cheesemakers thought white mould was a contaminant. Today we are brainwashed to expect pure white brie and camembert.”

Today, the albino strain of P. camemberti lacks the genetic diversity to fend off diseases, should they come along. It can no longer reproduce sexually, is unable to cross-breed naturally − which could instil genetic diversity − and can only be cloned in laboratories.

Also, most people are probably unaware of the diversity of pre-phylloxera wine grapes (phylloxera: American insect that almost completely wiped out European vineyards). Ever heard of Mondeuse Noire, Prunelard, Mancin, Etraire de la dhui, Persan, Penouille, Tressot Noir, Samoriau...? Some of these are still produced in vanishingly small amounts.

You would be surprised to find out what varieties were once widely produced (many you would never have heard of). We are poorer for the lack of diversity but there is brand power in the big names (we know what to expect with our malo-lactic fermented (buttery), heavily oaked, chardonnay (I personally prefer them a bit flintier with a reductive "struck match" nose)).

yup the food industry is always "improving" (cough) our food. If it can't be made to taste better they make it look better.

Amusing to watch them scramble as GLP-1 antagonist weight loss medicine promises to damp the world's appetite for excessive eating.

The stock market is a discounting vehicle based on future expectations and snack food makers are on the short list to take a hit.

===

I went ahead and ordered 10' of the antimicrobial tubing for my beer keg tapping lines.

JR

Also off topic but I didn't know that white mould on cheese is a recent genetic selection. Soft (brie and camembert style) cheeses looked different pre WWII.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/food-drink/350227653/are-worlds-favourite-oozy-cheeses-danger-extinction

It isn't. In France, most cheeses are still made traditionally. Obviously, these suffer from natural mutations in the mould. Roquefort, fi, can only be called Roquefort if it's from a certain area and produced in the caves that have been in use for many centuries.

However, 99% of the cheese sold outside of Europe, is industrially made and these couldn't even be sold under their own name in the EU. A very popular salted Middle East cheese, feta fi, is mainly produced industrially in Denmark. Another example is Haloumi. For both of these, traditionally made cheeses have been pushed from the market.

Emmentaler, fi, some years ago, lost its holes. That was a bad problem as the consumer expects Emmentaler with the typical large holes. The reason was Swiss farmers were too clean. Once that was established, it was easy to make a bacterial extract to add to the milk.

It's a thing the press will report about, mostly without understanding, driven by that industry, in an effort to influence public opinion, hoping the industry will be allowed to sell their product under a false name.

When I still wrote about food, I was threatened with lawsuits by the dairy industry. They know very well they can't win such a suit, but they can lengthen it indefinitely, they'll add copyright and trademark complaints and even other stuff. As an individual against a multinational, you don't stand a chance. Not even if you're a millionaire...

I'll drop an anecdote that fitts in with this;

Many years ago I got a panic call for a job as a soundengineer, if I could take over this gig as someone called in sick.
So I went there and found myself at a reception party at Unilever.
A woman, the CEO of the "butter" department was leaving and they were celebrating the succes of her running the "Butter department" for the last 25 years.
The stuff I overheard at that party was quite shocking, they know all that palm oil rubbish will give you cancer in the long run, but they don't care, they put 30 million euro in add campaigns and "buying people" to change the narrative.
Never worry about changing your product, just change the narrative.

At the end of this party I approached this woman and asked her "what do you put on your bread ?"

"Butter" she sayd, just plain butter.

From that day on I'm only buying real butter...

The biggest refinery in the world doesn't treat petroleum. It refines mostly palm and coconut oil. It's in Rotterdam.

Both palm and cocos are healthy enough. But they have a typical taste. The big boys decided we, the western consumers didn't like the taste, so they refine it. From cheapest natural fat to "healthy", "bio", "organic" product.

The mark-up is remarkable. So is the marketing budget.

Latest posts

Back