Dbx 576 Silver Series mods?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abe

Greetings!

THis is my first post and I'm not quite up to the knowledge/ability level of most of you here, so please bear with me. I'm just trying to learn. I have a Dbx 576 preamp/compressor that I use alot. Its my only outboard pre/comp. I understand that its not very well liked, but I bought it unused for $200 so it was too a deal to pass up. It does guitars and growly vocals ok IMO but not a lot else. I've put NOS JAN Philips 12AT7s in it but I understand that the tubes in this unit are more or less for show and I didn't hear much improvement. Does anyone have any ideas what I could do to improve this thing? The best way I can describe its sound is boxy/grainy. There doesn't seem to be alot of clarity to it. I've searched the net looking for suggestions but haven't had much luck. I figure if this group couldn't help than no one could! Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Regards,

Abe Piluszewska

Not knowing much about this unit it is hard for us to make too many suggestions. Schematics always help.

Manual Here

It says the tube runs at high voltage and it is a 12AU7. A 12AT7 is pin compatable BUT is a very different sounding tube with different parameters.

It might help to know what opamps are used in the unit for possible subs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I never even thought about the fact that it was supposed to use 12AU7s. That will make a big difference I would think. I'll take a look at the opamps and report my findings.

Abe

It has 14 Texas Instruments TL072C and 3 LF353 opamps. 2 JRC 5532DD chips. 2 833 chips. 1 SSM2017 chip. There are some larger ones also. 2 LM339D chips. 2 3046 chips. 2 0003F chips and 1 0015E. I don't what all of these do, so some the things I listed may not even be opamps. However, I can solder well and if there are better components available, I'd like to make some improvments.

Abe

Back