DC Heater voltage question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My appologies Ian ,your correct . I do know a lot of amps speced the voltages to +/- 20% ,but 20% on heaters would be a little to much margin under most circumstances .I have seen a 6au6 cathode follower  in a tube mic 20% under on the heaters but with low ht volts as well .

If the unit wasnt used for a long time it might be worth allowing the electrolytics reform,  the usual way of doing this is to slowly raise the supply voltage through a rotary auto transformer. In any case you have them powered up now and their working ,theres a likelyhood the caps could either improve to some degree or just continue to become less and less effective ,if your heater volts seem to be slowly drifting up over time you could assume the caps are making a bit of a recovery ,if the voltage is slowly getting less and less ,Id assume the caps are finished . If the volts hold stable and everything is hunky dory your 70 year old caps might even be within their spec which could easily be +20/-50% .

It drives me but a to follow along a thread that relates to my problem only to find it never finished conclusively... SO, in conclusion, my initial problem with low heater voltage was certainly partly the fault of old selenium rectifiers. In the two Concertone units I have one had unusably low heater voltage (no signal passed) and the other was within tolerance on the low side but functioned. I replaced both with full wave bridge rectifiers from Mouser, part #’s GBPC15005. I also replaced the filter caps for the DC heater supply with new Sprague/Vishay 500uF 25vdc. In both cases I would normally expect to have to add a series resistor because the new rectifiers drop less voltage than their selenium counterparts, but in this case both units heaters are still lower than 6.3v so I didn’t need it. The AC voltage entering the rectifier is 24V, FYI. In one unit I’m getting 5.7 volts (in the previously non working unit) and In the other unit (pictured below) 6.17 vdc. I’m not sure why the units would still be below 6.3 v, but they work and sound fantastic so I’m going to move on. Thanks for those that responded! I have another question next regarding the output pot for another post.

Attachments

• 7334407A-A08F-45B2-80E8-B7A63BCAFE6D.jpeg
    7334407A-A08F-45B2-80E8-B7A63BCAFE6D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
rphancock1 said:
’m not sure why the units would still be below 6.3 v, but they work and sound fantastic so I’m going to move on.

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=69650.0

Has some more bits of info that may or may not help understand more......

Glad it sounds good!

Latest posts

Back