Descent output transformers for HiFi tube amps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CJ said:
how many watts you lookin for? triode tubes, especially SE mode, put out low watts compared to push pull pentodes,

if you want to go cheap, consider some horizontal sweep tubes used in old tv sets,

you can get RCA NOS on the cheap.

I figure two EL34 push-pull... what can I expect?... around 45W of output power each channel? I know this is quite much but if this project runs well then I have a friend who wants me to help build one for him as well so this will also function as an experiment for HiFi :)

Best regards

/John

abbey road d enfer said:
Sowter have a wide choice of tube OT's. They are probably the closest to the real thing when it comes to Williamson/Mullard/Leak/Radford/Quad xfmr's. And they're (almost) in Europe.  ;)

Thank you sir

Yes, I have used a lot of Sowter mic input transformers and really like them a lot. I took a second look yesterday on their website to look for output transformers for HiFi purpose and it seems very promising of what they offer. A bit pricey but they do produce good stuff. And as you say they have dedicated transformers for those vintage tube power amps.

I guess we still have to call it within the EU?

Best regards

/John

I must say thank you all for the information given. I will surely find what I look for among the brands you have mentioned.

I will get back with a report on how the build went along when it is finished. It might take some time since Christmas and New year is coming up and money is spent all over... but then ;)

Best regards

/John

Latest posts

Back