digitech RP1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaquins

I already tried to start this and the computer shut down while I was writing. :eek:

Long story short a friend has a digitech RP1 and he want me to repair it, only god knows why he wants it...

In few sound banks appears to sound fine but 2 seconds later than you played, a real pleasure use it that what. In most banks it doesn't sound at all, it overflows like crazy and you only hear the digital clipping noise, no matter if there is input signal or not. it works fine on bypass so I probably wouldn't look too much at the analog section where this ugly placed transistors are, there or at the foot switches. Some heat inside but nothing like crazy, not bad caps at simple view, some flux residues on the board but looks like factory "design". No other visible damage on the main board, the display/button board is quite ugly but that is working fine, the only problem seems to be the delay and the overflow.

It has been opened before, battery seems ok, probably replaced already. a few transistors changed in a really ugly way but solder joints seems to be connected. The main problem I see is a hybrid package which looks broken, pic down below.

That said I haven't put too much effort on it yet, I don't have the time right now, maybe some of you can point me in the right direction, I've just sent a mail to digitech to see if I can get the service manual, maybe that could be useful.

Thanks!
JS

Attachments

• 11007460_10206043515669252_1768218177_n.jpg
    11007460_10206043515669252_1768218177_n.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 17
Hello Joaquins,

I just found this post regarding the Digitech rp-1 overflow problems...
I really hope you managed to get some results in repairing the processor.

Could you please share some more information (if you still remember what the problem was) because I have the same old processor with the same problem and really hope to find a way to repair it - it's still a good sounding toy...

If anyone else has information about the RP-1 overflow problems please share!

Thanks!

With digital delay effects it only takes one memory address line bit error to make huge sound difference. 

To look for something easy, check solder connections or if devices are in sockets, reseat the ICs in their sockets.

JR

Thanks for the quick reply, John Roberts...

RP-1 has a lot of ICs on sockets - it's probably a good idea to take all of them out and re-fit them again...

Not sure if it will help since the problem appears a little bit later - lake 10-15 minutes after you start the device - seams like a temperature related problem - sometimes it totally stops (only bypassed signal works) and then starts again but distorted...

ralprim said:
Thanks for the quick reply, John Roberts...

RP-1 has a lot of ICs on sockets - it's probably a good idea to take all of them out and re-fit them again...

Not sure if it will help since the problem appears a little bit later - lake 10-15 minutes after you start the device - seams like a temperature related problem - sometimes it totally stops (only bypassed signal works) and then starts again but distorted...
you may not need to remove them, which opens you up for other issues (bent pins, backwards insertion, etc). Just pressing down firmly in tops of ICs can reseat old tired socket connections. Maybe just loosen but don't remove before reseating.

JR

OK - good advice - will try tomorrow to re-seat all of them and see what happens...
Will try as well to re-seat the connections between the two boards and even refresh/re-solder their sockets too..

Hello Joaquins,

I just found this post regarding the Digitech rp-1 overflow problems...
I really hope you managed to get some results in repairing the processor.

Could you please share some more information (if you still remember what the problem was) because I have the same old processor with the same problem and really hope to find a way to repair it - it's still a good sounding toy...

If anyone else has information about the RP-1 overflow problems please share!

Thanks!
Ive been recently useing my old rp1 and noticed after about an hour or 2 of playing it started spazzing out cutting off and on and stuff seems to be related to a heat issue and tips or help would be graciously recieved

My first ever effects device was an RP1 as a pre-teen back in the early 1990s.

Even when new(-ish) it required multiple trips to the repair shop, which in hindsight probably had something to do with spurring my interest in DIY

They always said the same thing: "solder joints cracked." The grumpy old-school tech always lamented "these wave-flow soldered devices that always fail this way"

I stopped using my RP-1 many years ago (eventually I think my mom sold it at a garage sale!) so I never opened it up myself as an adult.

But that's a long-winded way of saying... especially if heat is correlated with the intermittent failures... maybe check (and reflow) any suspect solder joints?

Back