Direct wire LED fluorescent shop lights

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazer

I have a shop that came with the house I bought 4 years ago. It has mostly T8 and T12 4’. Bulbs. The office had solid state ballast units that would quit working after only a couple of years. I replaced the 4’ tubes with direct wire LEDs. This was much easier than replacing the ballast or the whole fixture for a new one since there are many fixtures hooked up with conduit. I’m Very happy with the light. Color temperature is 4k. So not to blue white.

I've been considering this since buying our current house. It has two garage spaces with 4' dual tube flourescent fixtures. Some work. Some don't. And some are unpredictable. Where did you get your LED tubes?

I got mine at Lowes. They are 10 pack of 4’ T12 GE. I’ve heard sunco. Might be a better price on Amazon. Just make sure they are direct wire and Don’t require the ballast.

I actually used the 18W version.... I think there are some sites with color recommendations depending on the space they are used in. The frosted lense is nice...

This place has some in stock although I've never ordered from them. Would definitely call to check....
https://theprobuild.com/products/4ft-15w-led-linear-versa-tube-5000k-ul-dlc?variant=42094979055849
Maybe try a couple from the big box stores to get a feel for the color? Seems returns would be easy enough too.... those VersaT8 are really nice... Put in a few hundred in an office 5 years ago and no complaints. Have them in my garage and neighbor's too. ...

Thanks for the info. I need 12..
I said t12 but I meant to say T8. I used T8. In my fixtures that had T12 and they work great and provide more light than the old fluorescent T 12 did.

Just use T8 direct wire in your T 12. The pins are fully compatible with T12, and I’m sure you’ll be happy. I do t think they make T12 LED that’s just a 1.5” tube instead of a 1”

Last edited:
Put in a few hundred in an office 5 years ago
Actually it was 3 years ago. Still no complaints though....jeez... Sure feels like it was longer..these last few years have been like that though I guess ...
I need to ask my one neighbor what bulbs he used at his church when I helped him replace a bunch up there (last year?). He is usually pretty ocd when it comes to researching things and there's a chance he picked the ones he used for a reason...
It'll be interesting to see how the fluorescent t8/t12 replacement leds hold up over the long run. I haven't been super impressed with the longevity of certain standard e26 or many types of landscape bulbs . Never getting around to looking at the warranty info or process always comes back to haunt me when I'm having to go buy replacements.
But 3 years running 12 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week,with some always on 24/7, seems encouraging so far maybe.

Last edited:
I said t12 but I meant to say T8. I used T8. In my fixtures that had T12 and they work great and provide more light than the old fluorescent T 12 did.

Just use T8 direct wire in your T 12. The pins are fully compatible with T12, and I’m sure you’ll be happy. I do t think they make T12 LED that’s just a 1.5” tube instead of a 1”
Thanks. I should have been more clear...I need 12 units for 6 dual tube fixtures if I convert them all.

Latest posts

Back