Disassembling a UA SP-1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomCatSound

Hey, I am no stranger to doing small repairs on gear however I can not for the life of me figure out how to remove the circuit from the body of this mic. I just need to ensure that the wires to the XLR are connected because the signal is intermittent. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Unscrew the capsule, undo the screws near / around the XLR end, and push / pull the guts out? I'm just going by online photos...

Or rather, have you even tried anything yet?

I was under the assumption that it pulled out of the XLR side like some other small diaphragms. Some of them have weird mechanisms that I was trying first. It never dawned on me that it might be very easy to slide it out on the other side :rolleyes:

I was under the assumption that it pulled out of the XLR side like some other small diaphragms. Some of them have weird mechanisms that I was trying first. It never dawned on me that it might be very easy to slide it out on the other side :rolleyes:
UA SP-1 is a rebranded China mic. Google MXL 603 or Takstar CM60, it is disassembled the same way. Probably the same exact components. Snap a pic or two of the guts and post them here if you get the chance.

One tip, contrary to what @Khron said, if the screws are hard to unscrew, you might try to screw them clockwise, further into the body. These can be easy to snap, you don't want to go in wrong direction. Most of the ones i had "preferred" if the screws are screwed clockwise.

Thats what I tried first. Once they stopped at a certain depth I figured there was another way. I can snap a few pics when I go to solder one of the pins back to the pcb. It seems to only be half soldered from the factory.

UA SP-1 is a rebranded China mic. Google MXL 603 or Takstar CM60, it is disassembled the same way. Probably the same exact components. Snap a pic or two of the guts and post them here if you get the chance.

One tip, contrary to what @Khron said, if the screws are hard to unscrew, you might try to screw them clockwise, further into the body. These can be easy to snap, you don't want to go in wrong direction. Most of the ones i had "preferred" if the screws are screwed clockwise.

Attachments

• 20240327_200638.jpg
    20240327_200638.jpg
    871.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240327_200651.jpg
    20240327_200651.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240327_200630.jpg
    20240327_200630.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Looks for all the world like an impedance-balanced output though... But there's an extra transistor (nearest to the JFET) that i can't quite explain / figure out :unsure:

Latest posts

Back