Discontinued connector options

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noth

Hello,

I've designed an "MCI JH600 preamp" PCB which is supposed to fit on a Channelstrip.

Unfortunately, the connector used is unknown (at least to me !) so I'm trying to figure a way to replace those.
Currently, my PCB has holes with proper spacing and diameter and the best option I've found is to use steel nails as pins!
It works fine but well, it's not super clean and steel is clearly not made to be solded on a PCB.. (At least no-one will break my pins :) )
Pins characteristics are:
- Diameter : 1mm
- Length : 24mm

Does anyone has some suggestion on where to source a proper equivalent pin?
I though about cutting segments from a copper (maybe not rigit enough) rod or brass (not sure if it can be soldered as it).

Thanks for any advice!

Original connector:
IMG_1977.png

Last edited:
Pin spacing is about 3.6mm.
On my original PCB I was using 3.96 thinking that it could eventually be standard but sadly that was a bit too large

Is you measurement centre to centre or between pins ? Every MCI board I have worked on (probably around 10 boards although I admit not a 600 series) uses 3.96mm centre to centre. Your headers look exactly the same.

Last edited:
I just check on my PCB gerber, the spacing is actually (center to center) 3.8mm.
Since the difference to 3.96 is subtle, you're probably right!

I will test again with "standard" Molex connectors

Thanks for your help !

Whatever you do, spend the extra $$ and get the GOLD PIN version. The tin pinned Molexes are the bane of every MCI product ever made!!

Latest posts

Back