distribution amp advice needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco Pancaldi

Hello,

I'm building an headphone distribution amp for my band, with three balanced stereo inputs and four separated headphone amps.
I need some help from the experts here...

I've found lot of info in the headwize.com site, and I will use some images from there to better explaining my questions:

input schematics

opamp7.gif

Simple and effective. I'll start from here:
- Question 1: How can I add a switch for some additional gain (about 12 dB) to use with consumer equipment?
I want to use six of these for the input channels (L1/R1, L2/R2, L3/R3). Every stereo couple goes to one of three Left In/Right In in the following:

distribution schematics

opamp17b.gif

I want to use the circuit above, simply multiplying the stereo L/R input 3x (please ignore the mono input in the schematic).
I'd wish to add to every headphone amp (A, B, C, D; you see A only here) a stereo/mono/mute switch for every stereo input, to give every musician the possibility to mute single inputs without varying the preset volume levels (or to check phase compatibility, effects etc. in mono):
- Question 2: Is this as simple as removing the 5K balance pot and substituting it with a DPDT lever switch (open for STEREO, closed for MONO, to-ground for MUTE)?
I don't know if this can load too much the input opamp, causing crosstalk between L and R (when some of channels are switched to MONO in one or more headphone amps) or level drop (when some of channels are switched to MUTE in one or more headphone amps).

And last - Question 3: the summing/feedback resistors in the schematic are 100K. Can I reduce the value to 10K to keep low the noise level without problems?

I hope all is clear, I will be happy to be more precise if necessary.
Thanks all

Marco Pancaldi

Latest posts

Back