DIY first timer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coda

Where do I find some info about all this DIY stuff???

I'm a beginner and would like to build some effects boxes,pre amps and such...any help would be great,,,

I built some am-fm trans.radios in high school but that has been awhile..

Thanks Coda

[quote author="coda"]Where do I find some info about all this DIY stuff???[/quote]

Right here, my friend!

Check the "meta meta" thread and you'll find links to days worth of reading.

I'm totally new at all of this too. First stop should be the META for newbies in the meta pages. It really depends on your grasp of electronics I think. If you've got experience (engineering), you may be able to start at the project pages. If that's the case, start browsing some of the projects that are popular and created by the users here, like the SSL, the green mic pre, g1176, etc...

Have fun with it. I just bought a calculator.

kb

Hey guys,

I'm completely new here too. I'm halfway through my first project, the G9. Great fun but left me with an empty pocket :)
It's ok to be new. When I have difficulties, I always read the forum as much as I can, if i can't find my answer I check the web pages of the DIY gurus here and other websites on the internet. Other websites on the net might be confusing and incorrect to these projects so I end up asking questions here.

To be honest some of my questions are really lame, but oh well, the only stupid question is the one that is not asked.

I have very little electronics knowledge.

Goodluck.

[quote author="thearnicasync"]I just bought a calculator. [/quote]

Sheesh, you didn't build one? :)

They're pretty tolerant about stupid beginner questions around here. Often a beginner question will spark an interesting conversation. However, I recommend getting a good book about electronics basics and trying your hand at soldering cables before you try an 1176. My first 1176 project crashed and burned, I'm about to start over. My advise: when you print the transparancy to etch your boards, make sure that "fit to page" is NOT checked! Talk about your $300 mistakes...

Welcome to the lab! It all depends on budget I guess. If I was new to all of this and wanted to build a mic pre, I'd probably start with the Green Pre. It looks to be a little easier and safer than some of the other projects, though I have not built one myself. For compressors, the GSSL buss compressor seems to be a favorite beginners project that has major mojo in the sound department. I have built the GSSL, and I love it.

Good luck!

:thumb:

Back