DIY Ribbon mic photos

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twiggybush

Hi, I'm a newbie of sorts. I used to belong several years ago when this was Prodigy mic builders. Any who,  I've noticed a lack of ribbon passion so I'm here to reignite. I posted some pics at photobucket to give some ideas for those struggling with designing a mic. The chain link pics are from 7 years ago. The 44 clone is recent and is multi pattern.  The motor with 1/4" rails is something I cooked up last week.  I wanted to see if small NE52 neo-mags would have high gain. The gain is great. For less than $6 worth of magnets it's as loud or louder than anything I've compared it to. I use aluminum leaf.  Just for fun can anyone recognize what I used for the 44 shock mount?  I'm always glad to answer questions.  Keith
http://s847.photobucket.com/user/twiggybush/slideshow/DIY%20Ribbon%20microphones

Nice work! Is the shock-mount a frame from one of the Chinese ribbons like a Nady 210 or such?
I have a 210 that I've been meaning to re-ribbon, so thanks for the inspiration. Ribbons are pretty much the only thing I put on guitar amp speakers these days. Love that tone.

Thanks tchgtr.  (Nady 210)  might you mean Apex?  My thoughts on upgrading the Apex 210 would be to replace the motor.  If we're talking about the dogbone frame with 1/8" thick magnets.  I've never experienced much gain with 1/8" magnets. Also the ribbons so thick it impairs high end detail.  A thinner gap and thinner foil will improve gain and frequency response.  The hardest part of making a mic is the body.  The 210 would make a nice platform for a new motor.  The shock mount on my 44 clone is the knurled looking thingy that connects the mic to the stand.

Oops. Yep the Apex 210.
  I have the 1.8 micron foil (already re-ribboned a Beyerdynamic M500), and a nice Cinemag transformer, I just haven't felt like fooling with that sheet of aluminum in a while. I only use it on guitar cabs, so the volume is not a problem, but I might use it for other things with some thinner foil on the ribbon.
  Your mics look good. You must have access to a shop somewhere. What you've done deserves more attention, but it seems like you have to put "vintage" in your thread title these days to get views here.
  All the best!

Wow Bill, If you can re ribbon a M500, you be the man. Nice mic.  A couple days ago I was at the Paquette mic museum trying different mics. I happened to plug in a nady RSM-4 which is 1/8" thick magnets. The output was good but it had hardly any high end. The surprise of the day was a vintage RCA SK46. Super tiny mic. It had real good gain and high end. I tried its predesessor SK44 (paintbrush mic) and it had poor high end. I had commented to Bob that the SK46 sounded much like a Beyer mic. I hear you about gain not being a problem on guitar cabs and drums.  Yes I do have a home shop. I'm also a retired machinist.  I do not have any special tooling. Seems like a drill press and band saw see the most usage.  The motor I showed could probably be accomplished with minimal tools. It's just aluminum.  Thanks for your interest. Keith

Back