Premade preamp for DIY ribbon?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubinstu

I'm working on a DIY Blumlein ribbon mic. Basically, I have to ribbons co-located at 90-degrees in one housing. My initial tests are promising except the gain is, not surprisingly, very low. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on pre-made mic pre-amp boards sold on Aliexpress and other places. Ideally, I would like to house two channels of phantom-powered gain within the mic housing.
I could build one myself, but for this project, it's not where I want to spend my time and energy. Am I crazy for "ruining" a nice ribbon mic with crappy solid-state preamps? I'm looking for a high quality, but basic solution, nothing too fancy, expensive or difficult, but also something that's going to help the ribbons in terms of gain and output impedance. Thanks!

if you want i can look if i still had a production files (gerber, bom and pick and place) for a 48v mic boost circuit i had find here or on anothere forum.
Pm me

@Khron, honestly, I thumbed through that thread, but was somewhat overwhelmed by the 22 pages of content! There's a lot of good stuff in there. And to be more honest, what I'm looking for is a quick-and-dirty solution. I was hoping to find some super cheap JFET (or other) amp boards like FETHead. I've found some really nice ready-to-go pre-amp boxes, inline boosters (like FETHead), and raw schematics. I was hoping to find some tiny pre-made PCBs that I could stick right into the mic housing.
I may break down and just hand-wire two channels of FETHead or something like that.
Thanks
Stuart

if you want i can look if i still had a production files (gerber, bom and pick and place) for a 48v mic boost circuit i had find here or on anothere forum.
Pm me
@ratrace, if you have schematics that are easily available, that would be great! But please don't put any time into this. There are some already out there on this forum and generally on the Internet. Thanks!

Not sure what your idea of inexpensive is, but maybe Klark Technic CT1, Alctron MA-1 or dual version of those will do. Find on used market?

Nothing crazy about using these, doesn't matter how much they cost, but you will lose "the mojo" between the mic and pre. Depending on which pre you use, there is some interaction between ribbons and input stage. Especially if transfomer coupled pres are used.

Latest posts

Back