Don't need gear

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aww  so much humor takes advantage of misconceptions and stereotype.

it's really unfortunate. 

was it Shakespeare that said  "tragedy makes the best comedy" ?

back to semi on topic-
sometimes when people get their music slicked up too much,
they are accused of "selling out"

sometimes people don't do as well out of their comfort zone.

sometimes it's about having the time to spend hours and hours on a take,
or a sound...getting something that just 'works'

some times time (lots of it) is the best ingredient to add to a project.

i'd wanna drag him in tho... if i dug his stuff.

Kingston said:
"but snakes aren't slimy, that's a common misconception"

I would have thought the joke was funny, but got nerd-sniped thinking that.
You could also have pointed out that snakes and rabbits can't talk. :)

Well, I must admint that I got stuck musically since I started investing in recording equipment. And I know a lot of people suffer the same fate. I actually keep postponing songwriting, always "finish this first, and finish that first, otherwise I can't get the right sound". But let's face it, you won't get any sound or creation at all if you just keep on building stuff/ buying "better" tools.

I agree....it seems to be an easier solution to want to get a better guitar/eq/compressor  before we will write our "masterpiece". I've found im most musically creative with one mic, away from the studio...otherwise Its all too easy for me to get creatively encumbered (in a writing sense) with all the technical stuff.

But when the juices are flowing they are flowing... but it is something I struggle with. Finding balance is always the key isn't it? Just as long as we have the latest mic chain and guitar FX ;-)

helterbelter said:
Well, I must admint that I got stuck musically since I started investing in recording equipment. And I know a lot of people suffer the same fate. I actually keep postponing songwriting, always "finish this first, and finish that first, otherwise I can't get the right sound". But let's face it, you won't get any sound or creation at all if you just keep on building stuff/ buying "better" tools.

I would think that's the case 9 times out of 10.

FWIW, i was working in a studio yesterday where i was helping moving rooms for a big rnb writer/producer/artist. Number 1 songs over here and done some huge songs over in the states too. His setup, a PC  that has half the case missing, a little usb yamaha mixer, studio projects tube mic of some kind and a pcie sound card.... that was his setup... its all home studio gear... yet he charges ridiculous amount of money per song. He couldnt record a band, but for what he does, its perfectly fine.

what you need first is an optimized room acustic and an high class monitor system... i cant imagine anyone gets a great mix without these things. for RnB or electronic music you absolutly need the possibility of hearing dry and deep bass range. especially if you go with modern sub bass mixes played in clubs these days.

I just had some friends ask me for advice for buying some audio equipment (their budget is a couple hundred dollars). Their last album was nothing less then stunning done on cheap pro-sumer interface and a 57 and Chinese LD mic. They did have it professionally mastered. I think a great product can be made despite "inferior" listening/capturing devices...
Everything is colored, in the end its all about listening and knowing your equipment.
I do agree with having good room acoustics!! probably 1000% more important than mic/interface choices
HA HA!

Abe

Latest posts

Back