Dual LA-2A like it should be, pictures

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell yes!!!

The directional thing is going to work wonders! Just add some black wire mesh and some kevlar and you're GOLDEN!!

I had a very primordial version of The Duct (but in fact this wasnt a real duct yet) in a 60W homemade bass practice amp (installed in a small defunkt room heater case) in early 80s. I had to use a small aluminium u-profile to hold the 220V wires in place, because the insides of the device was a mess. It had a HUGE on-off switch, it made a really loud mechanical "click" when switched. As for the duct - it was slightly directional, and it Just Worked WondersTM!!

It was a sort of audiophile-punk. Way ahead, way advanced.

Beautiful work there, I'm about to begin mine (P2P design I got from recproaudio.com) and I wanted to know about what type of wires you used.  I have a variety of nice stranded wire I got from work to use and I have wondered endlessly if solid core would be better.  I know in the past I've used only solid core for EE stuff, so I don't have any experience with stranded to know if there's a downside...

Also any hints on where you sourced your caps from? I'd be interested in taking a look to see if it fits my budget since I spec'd out orange drops and a simple Mallory for C5.  Russian PIO sounds expensive, but I don't know where to look for them.

Also I love the preamp switch, I'm definitely stealing that one.

Thanks! 

millzners said:
Beautiful work there, I'm about to begin mine (P2P design I got from recproaudio.com) and I wanted to know about what type of wires you used.  I have a variety of nice stranded wire I got from work to use and I have wondered endlessly if solid core would be better.  I know in the past I've used only solid core for EE stuff, so I don't have any experience with stranded to know if there's a downside...

stay away from solid core. It will just break at the most inopportune times and is hard to work with.

For audio:

https://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?&tier1=Cables+%26+Connectors&tier2=Cables&tier3=Screened+Audio+Cable&tier4=OFC+Professional+1-pair&moduleno=62370&catref=02-0626

For all PSU stuff (AC and DC) I just use standard equipment wire of various gauges.

millzners said:
Russian PIO sounds expensive, but I don't know where to look for them.

Ebay. Orange drops are actually more expensive.

"Dual LA-2A like it should be."

"Some of my best panel work this far."

:-[

No it isn't and no it wasn't.

The thing has always worked and sounded as good as humanly possible but somehow the front never quite matched the sound. The ugly dark gray and some of the other design choices had to go. It was time for paint stripping and home brew brushed aluminum reface work. It's finally finished for good.

d-la-2a-front-2.jpg

d-la-2a-front-1.jpg

Had a visitor who typically waltzes in whenever unusual things happen anywhere in the house.

d-la-2a-front-interrupt.jpg

Latest posts

Back