Earthquake

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Katrina took down a huge 100'+ cottonwood that was about 20' from my house. I was lucky that it fell early when it did, since the eye came almost directly over me so the wind blew hard in several different directions. Later when the wind was blowing the hardest the tree would have landed in my kitchen, and living room and bedroom, and ..  The cottonwood took out my power pole on it's way down too so I was without electricity until they could put in another pole. My yard never firmed up enough for them to put in a new pole with transformer where the old one was, so I ended up with a pole on the far edge of my property, that they could drop in from the paved road surface, and a 240v tap from a transformer shared with two neighbors.. I miss my own personal transformer.

I have a row of big pine trees that are too tall for comfort, but pine trees are soft wood and tend to drop branches in the wind, I hope.. They are too tall and over some power lines for me to drop by myself. I'd have to pay somebody professional  to top them.

If you get serious flooding a sump pump won't keep you dry, especially if you are near the coast due to storm tides and lots of rain. but good luck. Hopefully this is just the press trying to scare people into watching them and it doesn't kill too many people.  Yes the day after is always spectacular, blue sky and low humidity.

I still have a sump pump in my crawlspace, but I have been dry for years since I reworked my drainage ditches (after katrina), an option everybody doesn't have. I had a front rain ditch that pulled a lot lower than my back ditch, so I just connected the two ditches. I helped my neighbor out more than me, they were getting water in their living space once every two to three years.  But now I have a dry crawl space, so I'm happy.

JR

yup I heard that FF joke,, a good one, and appropriate for VA ground zero.  8)

Well I just stocked up on the usual emergency supplies, generators are sold out everywhere already unfortunately or I would have picked one up.  The neighbor has one that we all shared to keep the frigerators running the last big storm we had (that knocked the power out for 3 days).  That was just a tropical storm though, so curious to see what this brings.  Hopefully it won't be as bad as they're making it out to be.  Just like earthquakes though, hurricane's aren't typcial around here.

Hurricanes are more frequent that 6.0 tremblers up there...  I even saw a tornado in NJ when I was a kid. A small one but they're pretty rare up there.  If you look at history there have been a few serious east coast hurricanes, so not to take lightly, while i don't expect the news talking heads to be the calm voice of reason.

JR

> it tore off our garage doors...

There's two considerations for wind on a garage.

1) Flimsy doors rip off, open garage acts as wind-scoop.

2) Detached garage front-wall which is 90% door-openings has NO strength for side-wind, falls sideways.

Turns out there are a LOT of retro-kits for tying the doors in a storm. Variations of a 2x4 jammed from ceiling to floor.

There are also kits to side-brace the framing against lateral blow-down. Strong-Tie has portal sheer panels in wood and steel.

I think I'm going with knee braces. With a long tall loft, at 95MPH gust, I have "only" 3,000 pounds design wind force. If I turn the frame sideways, can I hang an SUV on it? Not a horrible load given a deep beam above the doors, 2.5' diagonals to 16" legs.

-----------------

> Sump pump runs if we get a bad rain. ...so I need a generator I guess....

Runs for a day and you need gasoline. As JR says, Esso is dark.

Go to a marine dealer and get a manual bilge pump. It's not like you will be watching TV or PC, you can pump.

Long-term, you should run a backhoe to some lower spot. New cellar should not drown in "bad rain". Building Code (if any?) should have required 6" drop in first 10' away from foundation running to daylight. (Yes, "or pump", but IMHO a cellar oughta drain without power.) Ditching to my lower corner is the only reason I can consider a garage below the house... the slab base will lie right on the minimum+ slope to ditch head.

The garage itself was pretty robust, it was an old fieldstone house and the the freestanding 2 car garage sidewalls might have been merely concrete..  But Hazel was back in the early 50's and garage doors back then looked like "doors". Hinges on the sides and a pretty informal clasp in the middle. After that storm they were replaced with the more modern sliding panel doors in an overhead track, that are probably still in place.

JR

You guys got me paranoid now:(

I have a detached 2 car garage, cinderblock construction.  The one door's power opener is shot, so I have to manuallly open and close it, but it doesn't lock shut, and both door's have a nice 6-8" gap at the bottom between it and the ground because of a half assed installation (former owners).

Hey Ruckus, if you're free you should stop by our "Come on Irene" gathering tomorrow night in W. Philly :) Here's wishing a safe weekend for all of those on the East Coast this weekend.

Good memory! Moved back at the end of the year. It's good to be in the states, but I do miss being a subway ride away from the electronics market. Sourcing a BOM in person from dozens of surly and/or drunk vendors using only toddler's command of the language is incredibly frustrating... and fun! Eventually, as happens so often for foreigners in Korea, a very friendly potentiometer purveyor who had learned some English at Samsung invited me into his booth, served me drinking vinegar, and drew me a path that would take me to all of the components I needed.

Too bad we didn't get to meet up while I was in Seoul, but if it was cheap components you were after, Korea's really not the place.

Lol, I just got back from the stores, you'd think it was the zombie-apocalypse going on out there the way people are acting.  Cars were backed up 2-3 cars deep at the gas pumps.......generators, radios's, batteries, water - all sold out everywhere.  You literally can't buy water anywhere.  (Luckily I always have a stash of supplies here in case of times just like this.)  I walked into the supermarket and it was packed like I've never seen and people were literally running down the isles like it was one of those game shows where you have 1 minute to fill up the shopping cart.  Hilareous.

Tell me about it. I went to get an extra gas tank for the grill earlier, on the way back I almost got hit three seperate times within about 45 seconds by scared lunatics flying around on the road with no regard for lanes, signs, signals, other people, etc...

The emergency sirens have been going nonstop in the distance for the past couple of days. People are losing their minds.

The nice thing about hurricanes is that you are aware of it and have plenty of time to pepare in advance.

The bad thing about hurricanes is that you are aware of it and have plenty of time to drive yourself crazy with anxiety leading up to it.

Taking a short break from preparing for the storm.  I have a few small thing left to do and then just wait.  Floyd was bad in 1999 power went out.

I was at a home depot last night and a group people were waiting for the delivery of generators.  I have water and food, I missed out on a generator.

Anyone have a natural gas powered generators?  I was thinking about getting one of them after the storm.

I am in the high part of town but when Floyd hit I could not get out of town for 3 days because the main roads were flooded.

Come on, seriously? Oh well, another money quote from her.
I wish our incompetent politicians were at least more entertaining as well, but their core competence seems to be incompetence only...

Besides that, I hope everybody got through it well.

Back