EF86 Tubes/Valves

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

because of a cock up on ebay somebody is offering me a free EF86 (my choice - I wouldn't mind having a go at a G7 soon

He is offering me one of the following...

" I have some very nice used ones which may be new as thay are sold as used if the print is marked or not original boxed.
I have some mullard and GEC, long mesh, short mesh and solid screens.
Also Brimar and Russian"

Which one guys??

[quote author="Gus"]buy a bunch and find out yourself[/quote]
I have to choose one of those above - and they are totally free

The GEC is quite rare (isn't it the Z-something type?). The Mullard is just another Philips tube - they are great though. The GECs are probably more valuable, if they are the Z-somethings I think - I think they are good, but I have never seen one.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

As others have noted the type of 86 used in circuits like the G7 does not matter that much except for microphonics. I have heard good sounding cheap WING Cs tubes. Tesla, tungstram etc can all sound good. I need to break open a bunch of ef86s to understand this better. In microphone type triode connected circuits like the G7 noise and microphonics count the most this can be more of a tube to tube thing even with the same brand.

I have not used a ef86 in a Pentode circuit maybe that connection makes a difference.

That why the get a bunch to try post. There must be something about the constructio of ef86s when used in triode mode.

Back