ElaM251 in T.Bone SCT800 donor body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mihi_fuchs

Hi,

As I extended my microphone locker, I took an attempt on the ElaM251. I chose the T.Bone SCT800 donor body, as it is realtively easy and cheap to get in Europe and comes with the PSU.

As noted in other posts, tube microphones run on high and letal voltage. Even after switching them off they may hold these voltages in the capacitors for quite some time. Therefore only work on these projects if you know what you are doing and bear in mind that you should handle these things with the care and attention that they deserve!

In the link below you can find a building guide, the BOM for the PSU board and the microphone PCBs as well as a sound sample of female vocals (thanks a lot to Julia Wohlfahrt).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zpvng7tpj9yquhx/AAA41-sMDnrSL_ZMzZ8s7gbqa?dl=0
For the capsule I picked the Maiku K12 and the transformer is a 3u audio GZT-12 transfomer. The tube is a TAD 12AY7/6072A Gold (provided by Banzai music, order# SKU58307). The sound sample was recorded in cardioid pattern.

Here you can find some pictures:

IMG_1152.jpegIMG_1154.jpegIMG_1156.jpeg

Last but not least the project has been highly influenced and some solutions were simply copied from members of this forum (e.g. matador, khron, poctop, chunger, and others) - thanks for all of their posts, ideas and solutions that they have shared over the times.

Thanks again for all the nice hours I spent browsing through this forum,
all the best
mike

Last edited:
Last edited:
Where did you get the mic body?
You can get it new from thomann here: the t.bone SCT 800 – Thomann Österreich
Nevertheless, I found mine second hand on ebay-kleinanzeigen and willhaben. I think the best price I had were 65 euros for mic, PSU, spider and a case.

The only thing you need to take care of, is that for some reason the cable has weird connections (some pins were linked in my version). So open the connectors before you power up the mic and check that you have 7 seperate connections.

Cheers
Michael

The PCBs you sell are for the mic only or for mic and power supply?
Could you write more info about your disign, please?
Is inspired in the original 251 circuit?
Regards
AV

Besides of the second hand price of the SCT 800, it's pretty ugly. It would be interesting to find a grille replacement (and paint the rest of the body of same color)

Nice Build!
Why did you choose the Maiku capsule and the 3U audio transformer instead of a Tim Campbell CT12 and a Haufe or AMI T14/1?

As we are both located in Austria, where did you get the parts from? I do want to build a C12 clone myself but I have troubles finding especially the polystyrene capacitors

The PCBs you sell are for the mic only or for mic and power supply?
Could you write more info about your disign, please?
Is inspired in the original 251 circuit?
Regards
AV
i got both … the 40 was for the set …
the design is pretty much based on a schematic i found herein. it‘s the elam 251 circuit with 3 relays to switch polar patterns from the psu switch.
i think the schematic i baes on was from transfunken …

impretty much adopted it to the donor mic …

Nice Build!
Why did you choose the Maiku capsule and the 3U audio transformer instead of a Tim Campbell CT12 and a Haufe or AMI T14/1?

As we are both located in Austria, where did you get the parts from? I do want to build a C12 clone myself but I have troubles finding especially the polystyrene capacitors

hi coop,

thanks, the design is based a lot on the designs found here from previous members …

i picked the maiku as i had a very good experience previously, the price was fine and they are based in europe. the 3u was basically the cheapest option and i liked it in the previous builds, where i choose it for its size.

most parts i ordered from mouser. the styros i got from canada - i need to look for the place. i‘ll check my details - the built was actually one year ago - i just had time to write it up …

hope that could help - i find my styros source i post it here.

cheers
michael

Whose boards are those?
hi jerry,

the boards were designed by me. the mic design is based on the elam251 schematics in the net and the version posted by transfunken on one of the elam251 threads …

the psu is also similar to the alctron psu mod. but the tbone design has already fuse in the power connector, so you can spare some parts on the pcb.

cheers
michael

Besides of the second hand price of the SCT 800, it's pretty ugly. It would be interesting to find a grille replacement (and paint the rest of the body of same color)
i definitly agree. i was also about sanding them and recolor at least. but i could not locate a cheap sanding opportunity nearby.

i‘m not a 100% sure - but i think the body is highly similar to the alctron mic. so i guess wahat works there should work nicely here too… if you have some measurements of a basket i‘m happy to check if that could fit.

cheers
michael

Nice Build!

Hi Coop,

I rechecked - I could not locate the mails anymore, but I'm a 95% certain the source was justradios:

https://www.justradios.com
They have a large set of Styros and also other capacitors in stock ... for sure worth a visit ;-) ...
If I remember right and it was them, the contact was super friendly, prices were absolutely ok and shipping was - although it was across the pond - very fast and easy ...

Best regards
Michael

You mean HST11a/ Apex 460 mic? They are thinner in diameter. Guess the typical grille upgrade will not be compatible.

Check the size of this one:

https://wgtcenter.com/es/collection...rill-for-neumann-u87-condenser-screen-diy-pro
Hey,

I never had the APEX in hand. So yeah, you may be right that has less diameter. Nevertheless, I measured 47 mm on the SCT800 and the APEX is given with 46 mm max. diameter ... So it should be close. Nevertheless, I just included the measurements below - so you can check them against the head basket. The on you had linked in your post seems to me to wide in diameter. (50 vs. 60 mm).

Maybe one of these could do the job:

https://advancedaudio-europe.com/Mics-Parts-DIY/Head-Grills
I wrote a mail to their support. If I get any infos I'll post them here ...

Cheers and have a nice evening,
Michael

Latest posts

Back