Electro Voice PL-10 foam replacement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackmonkey

GDIY Supporter
My old PL-10 is due for a foam replacement. EV doesn’t sell the foam kits for it anymore. I was thinking about getting a windscreen for a shotgun mic of the appropriate diameter and cutting it lengthwise to size for the main foam “sock” that the capsule chamber fits into, then cutting a disc of the big open cell foam of the type that the RE-20 uses in front of the capsule for the same purpose on the PL-10. I’ve found both a windscreen that has the right inner diameter for the capsule chamber and big open cell foam of the right thickness to cut the end disc.

But before I go down this path, does anyone have a better option they’ve used? I’ve heard of guys using an RE-20 replacement kit and cutting/re-gluing the sock to fit. But that sounds like more trouble that it’s worth and besides it will leave a hard line of glue down one side of the sock.

I would just get the foams for the RE-20 and cut as needed to fit and adapt to the PL-10, seems the best and easy option for me.

I ordered a lot of foams for RE-20 and EV still have them readily available.

I’ve re-foamed several RE-20s, but the bass chamber diameter of the PL-10 is significantly smaller in diameter. Seems I’d have to both slice the foam down on side but also cut the circular end piece off and cut it to the right diameter. Then I’d have to re-glue both the circular end piece as well as the cut side. And whatever glue I use would be hard, making it lose some of it’s padding effect a bit at the end and along the side.

For that reason I am thinking that the RE-20 kit is less ideal than the shotgun mic windscreen approach. Just wondering if there’s something else out there that I’m not thinking of.

thanks for the reply Whoops.

I think Contact Glue in the US is called "Contact Cement", it's a yellowish and kind of rubber type of glue.

It's the glue normally used to fix shoes and to glue floor carpets.

For Foam I normally use it in Spray can, it's easier to apply. But whatever the format it works well.

leaking-glue-bottle-176897.jpg

61Nu3tSUvyL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Latest posts

Back