Electrocuted by Can Capacitor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes sense if the can is connected to one of the terminals, and the caps are in series. Is the can connected to the terminal internally, or is there another terminal for outer shell? If connected internally, you may just have to put a sleeve on the cap if you want it to be safer from accidental touch.

That makes sense if the can is connected to one of the terminals, and the caps are in series. Is the can connected to the terminal internally, or is there another terminal for outer shell? If connected internally, you may just have to put a sleeve on the cap if you want it to be safer from accidental touch.
It depends on the cap design... I have seen caps with the metal can bonded to the - lead, and truckloads of caps where both leads were floating by passing through a rubber bung. The liquid inside electrolytic capacitors is a conductive medium so the metal cans can be somewhat energized. Perhaps that is why they are routinely insulated.

JR

I was working on an Ampex 350 electronics one time and felt a charge across my chest and the screw driver that was in my other hand flew out of my hand. I decided to quit for the day.

Latest posts

Back