Ensoniq DP4 (classic) Rev C -- REPAIR

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished repairing a DP4 (classic) Rev C (1992).

DP4 is the older version, all thru-hole -- as opposed to SMD in the DP4+. All audio ICs on the DP4 classic seem to be TL07XCP type, but I didn't check too thoroughly. Sill looking for schematics, although the unit is up and running again.

1695111610800.jpeg

I had picked the unit up cos it was described as not fully working, for repair or replacement parts. When I turned it on to play around and dial in some algorithms, it failed within 10 minutes -- all lights off.

Symptom:
- 7915 voltage shorted to ground

Fix:
- 2 x blown fuses (feeding 15V regs)
- 1 x 7905 replaced cos probably blown, (measured weird on diode tester)
- 1 x 220n cap near power regulator definitely shorted internally (it sits very close to a heat sink)

Also replaced ALL elcos (I used axial, bent and placed flat, all rated for 105 degrees) and replaced several 220n caps near power regulator heat areas (caps bent away from heat sink). Finally, sub'ed tantalum caps (22/20V and 10/15V) for electrolytics.

Attachments

• 4x replaced elcos_.jpg
    4x replaced elcos_.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Axial elcos and 224 near heatsink_.jpg
    Axial elcos and 224 near heatsink_.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Huge heatsinlks_.jpg
    Huge heatsinlks_.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Tantalum replaced near TDA IC_.jpg
    Tantalum replaced near TDA IC_.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The heat sinks in the middle of the board get too hot to touch (same with DP4+). But here the heat sinks are larger.
The heat sink on the right side, screwed to the case, gets pretty hot too.
Unit requires sufficient ventilation on the side when racked, as the case itself gets warm.

_______
Program encoder knob was missing. Replaced. Encoder shaft is 6.4mm.

Last edited:
The heat sinks in the middle of the board get too hot to touch (same with DP4+). But here the heat sinks are larger.
The heat sink on the right side, screwed to the case, gets pretty hot too.
Unit requires sufficient ventilation on the side when racked, as the case itself gets warm.

_______
Program encoder knob was missing. Replaced. Encoder shaft is 6.4mm.
Just finished repairing a DP4 (classic) Rev C (1992).

DP4 is the older version, all thru-hole -- as opposed to SMD in the DP4+. All audio ICs on the DP4 classic seem to be TL07XCP type, but I didn't check too thoroughly. Sill looking for schematics, although the unit is up and running again.

View attachment 114706

I had picked the unit up cos it was described as not fully working, for repair or replacement parts. When I turned it on to play around and dial in some algorithms, it failed within 10 minutes -- all lights off.

Symptom:
- 7915 voltage shorted to ground

Fix:
- 2 x blown fuses (feeding 15V regs)
- 1 x 7905 replaced cos probably blown, (measured weird on diode tester)
- 1 x 220n cap near power regulator definitely shorted internally (it sits very close to a heat sink)

Also replaced ALL elcos (I used axial, bent and placed flat, all rated for 105 degrees) and replaced several 220n caps near power regulator heat areas (caps bent away from heat sink). Finally, sub'ed tantalum caps (22/20V and 10/15V) for electrolytics.
Hi,
Can you please tell me where -15v goes next from regulator and 3.3uF cap.I can't find from schematics of DP4 classic.Thanks.

Not really, but I started by taking the four regulators off the board. Short persisted. Then I lifted one lead each of the elcos (I had planned to replace them anyways). Nope, short persisted. Then I looked at the yellow caps close to the heat sink, lifted one lead -- and short was gone (while the cap with one lifted lead still shorted).

All that took me less time than disassembling the case and getting that massive PCB board out of there).

Careful with the board. It bends under its own weight. Best to hold on the heat sinks.

Also, traces and vias are tiny. Be VERY gentle when desoldering components.

Last edited:
Not really, but I started by taking the four regulators off the board. Short persisted. Then I lifted one lead each of the elcos (I had planned to replace them anyways). Nope, short persisted. Then I looked at the yellow caps close to the heat sink, lifted one lead -- and short was gone (while the cap with one lifted lead still shorted).

All that took me less time than disassembling the case and getting that massive PCB board out of there).

Careful with the board. It bends under its own weight. Best to hold on the heat sinks.

Also, traces and vias are tiny. Be VERY gentle when desoldering components.
Hi, finally found the bad cap.It was C7 22uF. No Dc Offset error. Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back