Epcos lytics from 2009

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My3gger

Local shop is selling nice (looking like something to eat), very cheap 400V/150uF 105C Epcos snap-in lytics B43504 series, they are from 2009. Some sources claim shelf life of 2 years for modern lytics, others 10-20 years, i remember tech warning us to start using the mixer in 5 years if we don't want to replace all caps..
I used lots of Epcos from this offer as reservoirs for HT but never checked how old they are, supplies with them work fine after 15+ years of heavy use making me question 2 or even 10 years of shelf life limitation.
Would you suggest go on buying and using them as i used to, or rather buy new from the same series costing 4x more? I might have to ask the shop when was the last time they took a pic of the cap.

Don't remember in which cap datasheet I read this (panasonic ?) but they call for a reform after 12 or 24 months IIRC.
AL capacitors have limited storage life.

I stop since some time now to stock too large amount of AL caps or buying -NOS- ones... and I tend to order them from vendors with high turnover to ensure recent mfg date code.

Usful life in service is another story.

Cheers
Zam

I have unused Panasonic SU and had some ICC axial bipolars from the 1990s which still are within tolerance.

I sold the tested and fully-disclosed the age of the axial bipolars and the buyer never complained.

I still occasionally use the older Panasonic SUs to repair my own stuff and though they likely had higher leakage current until re-formed have never given me a problem. I do test them before installation. I had one 47uF Panasonic that held a charge for years: Dielectric Absorption - Pro Audio Design Forum It eventually fell onto a razor blade on day which shorted the leads and ended the experiment.

Having said that a lot of the lesser-known lower-quality brands of the same era fail tolerance tests and I throw them away.

Latest posts

Back