EQ Cap problem?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hi all,

I have a Focusrite Red 2 that sounds thin and almost partially out of phase when engaged on one side. My experience tells me that this may be a bad capacitor. However, a number of the pots are scratchy, with one definitely broken and needing replacing (the output pot). Could this pot have the same effect of making that channel sound thin, or is it definitely a cap?

Thanks,
Siegfried

After having finished my Stereo Solid state Pultec I had some weird "out of phase" stuff going in one channel. This was due to one of the rotary switches not making contact, so yes, I think a brokken pot can cause this.
In my case it was NOT the output pot though, I belive it was the high cut frequenty selector switch. An broken output pot would just make the signal softer or totally disapear right?
The Pultec is a passive EQ and I don't know what's going on inside a RED2 so I might be totally wrong on this one.....

Hi Siegfried,

I will need to check the circuit first (it's at the office); the pot could be an influence on the Red 2 output...... let's face it, any broken control will not be good for correct operation!

The internals of Red 2 run quite warm and the mechanical packaging of this (and many other rackmount units) preclude efficient cooling of the board(s). With this in mind, re-capping would probably be of benefit. Using electrolytics rated at 105 degrees Celcius will be an improvement, as those fitted are most probably rated at only 85C.

Get that broken pot fixed first, then we will be able to make better progress quicker.

[quote author="Gareth Connor"]..........I will need to check the circuit first (it's at the office); ..........[/quote]

The circuit of the Red2?
I'm very interested in seeing this circuit :grin: (if you're allowed to share it that is)

Thanks either way :thumb:

Back