Estimatings max cathode current?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL ok showing work and i think I have it right this time

Ia = B+ - Va / Rl = 290V - 130V / 13K = 12 ma

For 100 ohm cathode resistor:

Vk = Rk * Ia = .1K * 12ma = 1.2V bias

for 1K cathode resistor:

Vk = Rk * Ia = 1k * 12 ma = 12V bias

So I see why the tube would bias with the 100 ohm resistor but it would not be at a good operating point.

thanks all

Kiira

> I'd like to eventually make this a line stage that could drive 600 ohm inputs or phones without needing a xformer.

Why? That's like asking a greyhound to pull a sled. Some jobs are more suited to a mastiff.

Certainly whatever sweetness Darling found in this tube, working at high impedance, will be lost (at least totally different) with a low-Z load. There are several tubes that would strain less with low-Z loads.

Sure, you can do it. Peak current will be about 18mA, barely enough for +20dBm or 100mW in 600Ω. Put in a transformer, you could do 10 times better, and at lower distortion.

Working almost to current-clipping in a low-Z load, you will get around 5% THD, instead of the 1%-2% THD you get working into a hi-Z load at reasonable currents.

> Not as a grounded cathode of course.

GC is always best for power gain. When you have power gain, you can trade-off for lower distortion, wider bandwidth, whatever.

One extreme tradeoff is cathode follower. Power output is unchanged from a GC stage with the same current and voltage, voltage gain is lower and distortion is lower by the same amount. Simple feedback, but the simplest voltage feedback possible.

Back