Ever Been to Indonesia (via HK)?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Hi,

On Friday my girlfriend and I are flying to Bali via Hong Kong. Have you been to Bali? Lombok? Gili Isles? Is there anywhere you'd recommend checking out? Any tips?

We're stopping off in HK for 24 hrs. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I've been to Bali beginning of this year.
First time for me, and it was nice, too much tourists, but a charming place.
South East has more fancy places, Nusa Dua Area.
Lombok seem to be the perfect place for scuba diving, and a little less tourist etc...
I didn't like KUTA, wich is the main tourist and Surfing area situated more South.
Beaches are not clean, and there's too many people getting drunk and partying etc..
While i can understand that, i'm more of a nature kind of guy, and so i stayed most of my trip
in UBUD, wich is a nice little village, and from there had a Scooter to visit most of all the island, had a map, a camera and i got lost.
A bike is the best way to visit imho, but it can be risky, and it's maybe not for everyone so...
North side seem to be a very nice place too, calm and all.
Anyway can't tell much aside from everything out there on the net, it's been a major Toursit stop so loads of info.

Hong Kong, from my friends saying, very nice city, well if you like cities, expensive to sleep, but if you're in Photos and all, you'll
have a lot of material for shooting there, as most major city's.

Hi!
Ok i'll write more about indonesia when i get to my laptop...for Hong-Kong since you are there for a short time, consider staying near the airport, you get more for your money and save energy when leaving. Once you drop your bags you have easy access to the city by mrt. Look up the novotel city gate for example. I did that stop over quiet a few times and i found staying near the airport more efficient . If you decide to stay in the city kowloon is a nice choice.

Be aware that most flights to Bali seem to land at the same time so be ready for a long wait at the visa on arrival counter. Make sure you have the exact amount in usd for your visa before you get there. Also they have a system for the taxis at the airport with vouchers and fixed rate(you will the counter)....if you don't use that you will most likely get ripped off.

Pierre

thermionic said:
Hi,

On Friday my girlfriend and I are flying to Bali via Hong Kong. Have you been to Bali? Lombok? Gili Isles? Is there anywhere you'd recommend checking out? Any tips?

We're stopping off in HK for 24 hrs. Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you do it right you might arrange to get measured for a custom suit while flying in, and pick it up on the way back.  8) I spent about a week in HK, for work over a decade ago and it was a pretty impressive city.  I didn't take my own advice wrt a suit.

JR

Thanks all for the advice - much appreciated.

I have been told to avoid Kuta. We're definitely not looking to party - it's strictly for chilling, taking in sights and wildlife.

I've also been told to get a suit in HK as well :- ) It's a shame that I only wear a suit once in a blue moon. Can't remember when my current suit last came out...

Thanks for the advice re: visa etc - practical advice like that's really useful.

Bali is nice. I would say make your way out of Kuta asap unless you like beer and McDonalds food and everything that comes with it.

Ubud was good, but so, so busy with tourists. Definitely worth a few days though. Hiring a scooter is good but be sure you have an international driving licence. We got 'fined' by the traffic cops despite my UK licence showing I can legally ride a motorbike. To be honest, I think they'd have managed to find a way to extract some money from us no matter what paperwork we had. Just how things work there :)

Lombok is a bit less developed that Bali. There were fewer tourists when we went. We stayed for a few days and then went to the Gili Isles. We went to the quietest one (Air?) You literally have to wade ashore with your bags off a little boat. It was totally idyllic with incredible beaches and the most amazing snorkelling i have ever seen. Unfortunately my girlfriend contracted Dengue Fever so we had to rush back to Bali to get blood tests and make sure there were no complications. There comes a point where it seems pointless trying to avoid mosquitoes, but honestly, it's better if you don't get bitten! I hope we'll be able to go back to the Gilis at some point and spend more time there.

Indonesia is a beautiful and amazing country and the people are lovely. For anyone who loves nature and scenery, it's a great destination. It sometimes takes a bit of effort to get away from the crowds, but it is worth it when you do.

I spent three weeks in HK with work two years ago and loved it. I considered looking into moving there for a bit cos I was so taken with it. In 24 hours it'll be a case of staying in a fairly small area. But I'd say the tram up to the peak is worth it, taking the escalators up and down the middle levels, interesting architecture, nightlife in Wan Chai, taking a ferry over to the Kowloon side. The nightly light show on the Kowloon side is pretty cheesy but worth a watch if you're in the area. I definitely preferred HK island to Kowloon which mostly seems to be huge shopping centres and high end stores.

The best thing about HK for me though is just walking the streets and looking around. You can be walking down a huge avenue with the head office skyscrapers of international banks in front of you, then turn down a narrow alley and there be tiny little market stalls or strange little shops whixh look like theyve been there forever. For me, how these worlds co exist in very close quartets is one of the things that makes Hong Kong so interesting.

When you first get to indonesia avoid street food and fresh fruits for a few days and then go at it gradually. Be aware that when indonesians mean spicy it is spicy and when they say not spicy it usually is still spicy because they can't resist it...

Dengue ferver mosquitoes usually bite during the day from 10am to 3pm so if you can stay in an air con room and take a nap,read a book ect you have more chances of not getting it...depending were you are the heat may be unbearable anyhow and it's not the time to walk around unless you want to have a heat stroke!  I noticed in bali they fog the hotels as a preventive measure so you might not be as much at risk as in other parts of indonesia were they wait for a few people to die before they start fogging an area.

Try to get a phrase book, the scenery is nice but the people are more interesting.

The advice of Rob for the international drivers licence is spot on. Be aware that the police is very weary about foreigners driving motor bikes in indonesia. There was a case were a tourist was arrested, he bribed the police officer and managed to shoot the whole thing on his cell phone. He then put it on youtube and it became a hot topic all over the country, the police even stopped taking bribes for a while!

Depending on what your budget is you can rent a car with a driver for around 30usd a day. It's a good way to get off the beaten path.

Some of the ATM's in indonesia let you only withdraw very small amounts at a time. It can become a problem if your bank charges you ridiculous fees like mine. (I get charged 5$ each time i take money from the atm) The atm's have a sign on them saying what denomination comes out of it. Avoid the ones with 50 000 notes you can usually get only 500 000(50$) out of them. The ones with the 100 000  sign will allow you from 1 000 000(100$)to 3 000 000(300$). If you can, try to use atm's that are in a bank rather then a public place.

3g internet access is very cheap in indonesia. You can get a few gigabytes of bandwith for around 10$. You can also get a 3g usb modem for around 15$.

I hope you have a safe trip!

Regards,

Pierre

Well, got back yesterday (after massive delays, resulting in around 25 hrs of travel...). Haven't developed Dengue, yet! Got bitten to pieces on the days I forgot the repellant - that stuff really works! So many highlights, including turtles swimming alongside us and the general nature of the wonderful people in Bali. Only went to Java once - to visit Ijen Many people said they felt it's exploitative of the miners...but let's face it, they own Iphones... The miners, despite their unbelievably difficult conditions, struck me as a lot happier than the average Foxcon employee... We bought their souvenirs and kept out of their way when they were hauling up to 100kg up out of the crater...

Too much to report, but thanks to all the posters  here - it's all true and useful information. 

Latest posts

Back