Ever seen/smelt a smelly 2N3055

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreqFarm

So I am building a Neve 1073 and on first power up I noticed a strong "blue smokey" smell which I have traced back to the 2n3055.

I got the 2N3055 from ebay which seems like it was a mistake after a little research on the fakes situation. I have now removed it from the PCB and am waiting for what is hopefully an original to arrive.

Has anyone else every experienced this weird smelly component situation? The only time I have come across this is when the magic blue smoke has been released, which in this case hasn't happened (yet)

In case it's a fake it would be anyone's guess what the actual circuit in there is (there is a guy in Germany you can send it to, who will open it, make high resolution images and tell you his best guess, which then would be better than anyone's).

I have encountered fake parts that had completely different circuitry in it, which might easily result in a "smoke" situation.

In case it's a fake it would be anyone's guess what the actual circuit in there is (there is a guy in Germany you can send it to, who will open it, make high resolution images and tell you his best guess, which then would be better than anyone's).

I have encountered fake parts that had completely different circuitry in it, which might easily result in a "smoke" situation.
interesting, however that would stop my current plan of returning the component to the seller along with a deposit found in my cat's litter box.

Smell is not a typical identifying characteristic for semiconductors. That said power transistors can get hot and that heat can vaporize any volatile contaminants on the outside of the device package.

If you are willing to do a destructive test you can grind off the top of the TO-3 case and visually inspect the die inside. There are multiple images around of what a real 2n3055 should look like.

JR

Smell is not a typical identifying characteristic for semiconductors. That said power transistors can get hot and that heat can vaporize any volatile contaminants on the outside of the device package.

If you are willing to do a destructive test you can grind off the top of the TO-3 case and visually inspect the die inside. There are multiple images around of what a real 2n3055 should look like.

JR
Totally! This is the first one i have come across with the smell.

Probably something way under rated cooking whatever is in there due to getting hot

Does make me worry what carcinogen wise is lurking under that shell, don't really fancy opening it due to that.

Totally! This is the first one i have come across with the smell.

Probably something way under rated cooking whatever is in there due to getting hot

Does make me worry what carcinogen wise is lurking under that shell, don't really fancy opening it due to that.
If its a real TO3 metal package the smell is not likely coming from inside.

JR

More than likely it's not a transistor, rather a resistor that got smoked when overheated. Only time have ever experienced a transistor stinking was when a TO-92 package transistor dramatically blew apart with a bit of a flame. Never heard of a 2N3055 metal package doing that..

Latest posts

Back