Externally Polarized SD Capsules that are Mountalbe?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stridentlinear

GDIY Supporter
Just a bit of back story.

I have a LDC body and circuit with multi-voicings (various low-pass and high-pass filters, pads, etc) that's really useful.

It would be a lot more useful to me with a smaller diaphragm, as those are what I use most often for instruments/percussion. And I prefer the acoustic properties at times over a pencil-style body.

CAD e-100 comes to mind, but the circuit I'm working with is for externally polarized.

images

Only options appear to be the interchangeable screw-on variety -- which includes some excellent ones (Oktava, 3u, micparts, etc) on the low end, as well as Schoeps and the like on the higher end.

sE8CardCapP-large.jpg

The challenge: Freeing it from it's protection grid (or not?) and wiring it up (talking to me like I know nothing which is basically the case). Both of which exceed my knowledge level, but I'm a diligent study and willing to learn and break things. Also willing to turn the task over to a more experienced diy'er or professional if the cost isn't outrageous.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
My first thought is back-to-back SDC cardiods that can switched in-phase for omni, out of phase for figure 8, and the rear one off for cardioid. (see Neumann KM86)

Alternatively they can be stacked on top of each other, to get the diaphragms coincident in the horizontal plane. (see Josephson Series 7) I did that with a spare AT2035 capsule, which I made switchable card/figure 8 - but those are LDC and electret. External polarization would complicate things a bit.

Another option some have tried, is using a 5-pin XLR to take the two capsules' signals out of the mic seperately and controlling the pattern externally, or recording the outputs seperately and working the pattern in post. May be a simpler option if using externally-polarized capsules.

I don't know of a single capsule that can be modified to be multi-pattern, if that's what you're suggesting. There's the omni/cardioid Schoeps capsule, but there's nothing DIY about that thing!

Attachments

• 2035 f8.jpg
    2035 f8.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't know of a single capsule that can be modified to be multi-pattern, if that's what you're suggesting. There's the omni/cardioid Schoeps capsule, but there's nothing DIY about that thing!

Thanks for the reply. Actually not interested in multi-pattern. Moreso with the multi-voicing (it's got 2 variations of bass rolloff and 3 positions for high end attenuation, and at least a choice or two for pads). I like the tonal variations since I can dial in the more aggressive high-end rolloff for things like steel string guitar or tambourine (one less thing to EQ after the fact), etc.

So really just trying to figure out how to wire something like that up (SDC capsule in LDC body) straight-up. Nothing too crazy.

Thanks for the reply. Actually not interested in multi-pattern. Moreso with the multi-voicing (it's got 2 variations of bass rolloff and 3 positions for high end attenuation, and at least a choice or two for pads). I like the tonal variations since I can dial in the more aggressive high-end rolloff for things like steel string guitar or tambourine (one less thing to EQ after the fact), etc.

So really just trying to figure out how to wire something like that up (SDC capsule in LDC body) straight-up. Nothing too crazy.
I can't imagine that would be terribly hard, I think that would just be a low pass filter with a Switch the way ADK and 3U Audio do it.

I can't imagine that would be terribly hard, I think that would just be a low pass filter with a Switch the way ADK and 3U Audio do it.

It is a 3uAudio. :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately, Guasheng doesn't have that feature in his SDCs. Hence my post. I'd like to put a SDC capsule (maybe one of his) in the Warbler body. That is my goal in this life (aiming high).

Latest posts

Back