Fake rack gear on Evilbay

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="MartyMart"]

( missing one knob which is a shame :-( )

MM.[/quote]

Beautiful knobs actually !!! if I could find some like this for my second GSSL :cry:

eD

[quote author="peter purpose"]Oui Monsieur. C'est ne pas moi, but we've all had dealings with this particular nutter.[/quote]

He lives in the USA. The guy was saying he would not ship internationally? I might have placed a bid if I had known. Must have been a little nudge, nudge, wink, wink, aye? :wink:

Ahhhh, Keef. I see, it all becomes much clearer now. The man of 1,000 LA-2A clones. MMMMmmm, m, m, Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah...

:razz:

[quote author="abby normal"]He lives in the USA. The guy was saying he would not ship internationally? I might have placed a bid if I had known. Must have been a little nudge, nudge, wink, wink, aye? :wink:[/quote]
No...

In actual fact, I have a 'secret weapon' in the form of my sainted mother in the UK, who agreed last week to ship this to me if I were to win it.

-Actually I have most of the guts of a reissue LA-2a, so this is just 'completing the puzzle' so to speak.

However, since abby and others have been asking about replica cases, this also makes a perfect "case-study" for measurement without dismantling a brand new one -or worse still- a vintage one.

This -however- allows me to use up many of the 'authentic' parts in my parts bin, to create something which will require less 'pimping' to realise it's actual resale value.

On the other hand, it may also yield some additional value if there are enough people who want functional LA-2a style hinged-front cases... like the Bloo ones perhaps.

We'll see when it gets here.

Actually, I put a single E-snipe bid on this as soon as it popped up on my eBay alert. -I did get a little nervous when Marty posted that he was dead set on it... but mercifully (depending of course on how you look at it) it got way above what Marty was prepared to pay for it.

Paid for already; it should be winging its way to me as soon as my mum gets it.

Keith

No hard feelings Keith, I went as far as I "dared" with it !
The 6176 that I got seems to have a real sifam AL29 VU in it along with some
quite expensive looking pots, so I'm chuffed with that :)

I also just won a set of Altec/Neve/Vortexion boards, which include some
Partridge transformers for free :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150224448853&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

Pretty pleased with that one, the guy says they are all "workers" and I couldn't
quite believe the BIN price !

Marty.

Actually, I put a single E-snipe bid on this as soon as it popped up on my eBay alert. -I did get a little nervous when Marty posted that he was dead set on it... but mercifully (depending of course on how you look at it) it got way above what Marty was prepared to pay for it.

eBay - loathe it or hate it, you can't kill it.

I do sometimes see names on eBay and think "shite, that's XXXX from the lab, I can't bump them up", and then back off.

Someone today bumped me up 30 or 40 quid* on a junker microphone in the last 30 seconds. It's happened a couple of times now recently, so if you're here, can we reach a truce?

xx

* about 10 thousand dollars.

[quote author="uk03878"]I guessed it was the Strawberry one...[/quote]
Don't know about that...

About 15 years ago, a manager of a local band had a front panel of an AMS RMX-16 which was 'faked' to look like it was operational. -It had been mocked up for 'set dressing' on a short-lived (and utterly crap) TV programme called -imaginitively enough- "studio"... from the early 1980's.

At the time I considered buying it as a rack blank, but I had enough Funk Logic type stuff to last a lifetime, so I didn't buy it.

That one was custom made by AMS. These all look to be genuine product also.

When I did the value calculations in my head, I figured that I'd go up to £250 for this one. -Later on when Marty posted about not letting it get up too far, I was a bit troubled, but I guessed (rightly as it turns out) that he probaly didn't have the same mental value ascribed to it, but I reckoned that someone else probably would... so if I didn't bid, then NEITHER of us would end up getting it.

I decided against posting or even PM-ing Marty to discuss high bids, and took a look at what Marty's first high bid had been (£75), when the bidding started to climb. -That sealed it, I thought... that and someone else seemed to keep bidding and not have a planned 'upper limit'.

In the end it seems to have worked out. Marty, Abby and others may well end up having access to good LA-2a cases which I'm going to look into having manufactured, using measurements taken from this one...

Then once it's been analysed, I have all the rest of the important genuine bits: the correct Magnetika transformers, (as used in the reissue are seen in this photo, mounted to 'bloo' adaptor plates) a genuine Teletronix T4B, all the turret boards and a Power Transformer. Everything else is non-specific and easily obtainable.

Keith

[quote author="zebra50"]
Someone today bumped me up 30 or 40 quid* on a junker microphone in the last 30 seconds. It's happened a couple of times now recently, so if you're here, can we reach a truce?
[/quote]

Someone would surely only ever do that t'annoy you. Don't worry - I didn't bid!

[quote author="rodabod"]Someone would surely only ever do that t'annoy you.[/quote]

Ha!

I'm sure they genuinely wanted the mic, but it was soooo close to my max that it did seem suspicious. Me? Paranoid? Who's asking and why?

I only ever bid once on anything, to protect my sanity mainly.

Repeat the ebay mantraL Bid once, bid hard, bid late!

zzzzzzz

[quote author="JohnRoberts"]Dealers want to look like they have a well fleshed out display case, but rarely want to display real units for every model in a given product line. Likewise customers want to buy a new unit in a box, not a previously racked up unit.
[/quote]
I don't understand that completely, don't people want to testdrive ? And when they like it take a-new-in-box-one home ?

Regards,

Peter

I found a true "Ebay Gentleman" !
After a couple of mails, the seller realized that I was a serious electronics "hack"
and is including a further Neve BA283 board with the goods !!
What a gent ! and ALL for £35 !

MM.

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="JohnRoberts"]Dealers want to look like they have a well fleshed out display case, but rarely want to display real units for every model in a given product line. Likewise customers want to buy a new unit in a box, not a previously racked up unit.
[/quote]
I don't understand that completely, don't people want to testdrive ? And when they like it take a-new-in-box-one home ?

Regards,

Peter[/quote]

When you're a small company it's hard to get dealers to support your full product line. They want to cherry pick just one or two of your hotter products. In many cases customers won't know you even make XYZ if they don't see one on the shelf.

It's much more impressive to see 10 different models all racked up together than one here and one there mixed in with other brands.

The dynamic nowadays is somewhat different with web marketing, and customers know in advance what they are interested in. Once upon a time, customers actually asked dealers for their advice.

JR

[quote author="JohnRoberts"] Once upon a time, customers actually asked dealers for their advice.

JR[/quote]

Oh, I remember those days :wink:
Now it's normally either a "snotty kid" without a clue or someone with WAY
too much of an opinion ... and it's usually wrong !!

One exception about a year ago ( before going DIY on studio gear ) I needed
a good mic-pre and was willing to spend quite a decent amount.

Keith at KMR Audio in the UK spoke with me on the phone about this and
recommended highly, the DAV BG1-U, which I could have a 14 day trial on.
Well it was everything that he said it would be ( I still think it's a real good pre )
and he saved me at least a grand in the process.
Good chap and he knows his stuff, he could have easily sold me "up" to
something more esoteric.
MM.

Some of the manley stuff seemed to go for a reasonable price no ?
if i was in the U.K. i would have bid , i always fall down on the case
& panels and that would have saved allot of effort .

[quote author="SSLtech"]
However, since abby and others have been asking about replica cases, this also makes a perfect "case-study" for measurement without dismantling a brand new one -or worse still- a vintage one.

[/quote]

Hey Keef post your measurements up when you get them. I'm planning on doing a DIY LA-2A case photo essay out of one of those Hammond enclosures. I think it would be pretty cool to have something up like that.

Latest posts

Back