Felt like a junkie today

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unit7

Finalized two LC53As yesterday night, except for a few of the knobs. On the bus (not the mix bus) this morning I felt a bit restless having nothing to do and reached for the plastic bag with the units, the knobs and Allen wrenches... People looked at me like I was going to pull a bottle out of the bag (it was that sort of bag actually...). I decided not to care and mounted the knobs. Felt more at ease for a while, but here I am again. Project finished. Boooooring!

pucho812 said:
do they work? testing can be just as much fun
Yes they work, and you're right, I should enjoy using them! I do, but I've become used to the nights in front of my TV with some beer or wine and some popcorn or pizza (my PCBs are a little greasy... :D). Very very relaxing, and very rewarding building such nice sounding units. TB chorus, four TB550s, two LC53As and a VP28 so far and I just want more!

Know exactly what you mean. Better switch off the TV, it's too addictive :)

I usually listen to music, loads of different musics, when working on stuff. Can't follow a film anyway when indulging my component matching...

I got a kind of similar response the other day, you know how it goes :

Me "I'm going to build a nice vintage preamp"

Drummer, with glazed expression "Oh, that's nice"

Me " Yeah it was used by the Beatles and is on a million hit records, sounds great"

Drummer, ears prick up "Beatles .... cool, what's it called?"

There's no love for DIY from the "Outsiders"  hee heee hee !!

I'm 48 and if I don't use my magnifying glasses when soldering I get a lot more trouble than 1-2 glasses of wine causes. In fact a little alcohol seems to make my old hands shiver a bit less :D
Anyway, after almost 30 yrs in the business as musician, songwriter, arranger, producer etc I'm a bit overwhelmed by how fun this new hobby is! I've always soldered cables and patchbays and done light tech work, but never built stuff or soldered PCBs before. It's just like when I was 10 and longed to get home after school to build model airplanes... Extra rewarding that the units sounds so good too. I have a LOT of outboard in my studio but right now these units are my pride.

Unit 7,

the model aeroplane analogy is spot-on . . . .

There is nothing like recording a really moving vocal performance, except recording a really moving vocal performance on your own home made vocal chain . . .

. . . . and then mixing it through your own home made vocal chain . . . .

and knowing that it made not one difference to the performance, but at least a tiny bit to the result . . .

Amen,

ANdyP

Latest posts

Back