Ferric Chloride - Ouch!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I should have paid attention to the warnings - I should have worn protective clothing - but you learn by your mistakes....

Developing a PCB in a bag containing the Ferric Chloride solution - managed to get a hole in the bag
Some of the stuff seeped out...
I cleaned up and tidied up - all seemed fine - then a couple of minutes later...
Ouch, Ouch, F***ING OUCH!!!!

I forgot one small brown stain on my right hand - littl efinger right in the first joint of the finger (I washed my hands by clsping them together and not cleaning each finger in turn - hence a small chemical stain got into the folds of skin
Result - small Chemical burn... stained brown

Lesson learnt.....

And.. what is the best way of getting rid of etch resistant pen after developing - I am getting pi**ed off rubbing the board with a copper "rubber" or a brillo pad - it takes ages... (water or no water)

[quote author="uk03878"]And.. what is the best way of getting rid of etch resistant pen after developing - I am getting pi**ed off rubbing the board with a copper "rubber" or a brillo pad - it takes ages... (water or no water)[/quote]
The steel-wool sponges with soap meant for cleaning pots and pans work very well.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

i used to pass ages cleaning with alchohol (96%),it was terrible!
then i found out - just put a bit of aceton (the stuff your girlfriend/wife uses to take of her nail polish) -works like magic!
i keep on thinking about all the time & energy i wasted rubbing.....
hope this helps..

Thanks guys - nail polish it shall be
I take it you cotton pad it on then wash it off with water

[quote author="uk03878"]Thanks guys - nail polish it shall be[/quote]

Errr... I'm sure it's just a typo, but make sure you use nail polish REMOVER, not nail polish! :shock:

Peace,
Al.

Just use 99.1% (or 99% a little more expensive) Isopropyl alcohol. Pour it into a small container and dip the board in it, and wipe with a brush/sponge/paper towel/etc...

I use fine sandpaper, wet, under running water.... but not rubbing hard. Just enough pressure to get the press-n-peel stuff off.

[quote author="Kev"]I don't use ferric chloride[/quote] I don't mind when you make us "wait for it...wait for it..." but don't leave us hanging, Kev! What chem do you use?

:thumb:

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]I don't mind when ...... but don't leave us hanging, [/quote]
:green:
lol
sorry

ammonium persulfate

Kalex is my supplier
http://www.kalex.net.au/

their web site has changed recently and I can't directly show you the product.

Latest posts

Back