FINISHED PROJECT: Rangeblaster stompbox

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kato

Dallas Rangemaster Clone - the "Rangeblaster" from Fuzz Central
Big thanks to MartyMart for the mil-spec germanium transistor. Thanks man, I gave you a lazertran credit.

top.jpg

the sound
It's a subtle effect, and seems more like a midrange thickener, presence-adding volume booster. A full-twist of the knob gives an overdrive distortion. I would post a sound sample but my speaker cone is so voiced it would be misleading. It adds some magic sparkle at certain fretboard locations. Sounds blah in other parts. Requires use of the ears and adjusted playing technique for optimal benefit.

right_side.jpg

noise boosting
I built this for 9v adapter only, which yielded some noise boost. Read quote below.

[quote author=fuzzCentral]As RG said in his article about the RangeMaster, you REALLY need to use 1% metal-film resistors for this circuit because they are less prone to noise...and this thing will amplify hiss and hum and anything else that happens to find its way in. You also need a WELL REGULATED power supply to get rid of that 60-cycle hum or you will have a very noisy circuit.[/quote]

Noise was solved, but required this battery pigtail.

left_side.jpg

board_copper.jpg

board_top.jpg

All in all very happy with it, and it will find its way into a couple of songs for sure.

Ooooh me likes too - we just dug up some 2n1305s out of one of those old baggies that lie around and stuck together a fuzz face - now that was sound. No comparison with AC128s.

And I love that "knob"  8)

Back