Finished Royer Mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchgtr

I know this is old hat around here, but I'm very proud that I finished this successfully, and who else is as interested as you folks?
Total cost was under $130, as I picked up the V67G for under $25 locally on the used market (LA), used $3 metal lock box from a local thrift store for the power supply, and went to Cinemag and met those nice folks to pick up the output transformer.
  Many thanks to a good friend with a metal shop who was kind enough to punch the holes for me.
My only mistake was to wire the transformer backwards - even with low output and noise the mic sounded better than most of my other cheapies - but once I double-checked the Cinemag site and got it right, this is one quiet tube mic. Still trying to find the sweet spot on my own voice, but presence and clarity are very nice. On acoustic guitar it sounds amazing, even better than my modded Octava MC-012s.
  Soon, I will convert a MXL 2001 that I have. I'll be curious to hear the difference that the shape of the basket makes on the mic.
Also, anyone done this to a mic with a 797 capsule, like a M-Audio Nova? I'm considering that, too.
  This is the first power supply I have built from scratch, and now I'm very excited at how easy it was, and that I could read the schemo correctly. Looking for another lock box to turn into a NYD MILA. I want to build a SSL 9k, but am stumped by the rarity of the MAT-02.
   Thanks to all of you who probably don't even realize how much you are helping amateurs like myself by putting your shared knowledge together here.
Jim
P.S. Forgot to add that I used the original circuit board inside the mic (the one with the teflon standoffs). Just removed all the components and found traces that suited my purposes. Forget where I saw this recommended, but it worked very well...

Attachments

• final.jpg
    final.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 116
Here's the PSU revealed...used a 5-pin DIN connector on the PSU to save money...

Attachments

• PSU final.jpg
    PSU final.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 114
With all the room in the box, I could easily have done the Royer 2 mod for SDCs. Now you got me thinkin'...
If I had planned it better, I could have made it so the mic and cable could be stored in the box, but as it is, my stash will have to do....:)
Seriously, a NYD MILA is next. Time to hit the thrifts.

Latest posts

Back