KMS85i mod / service ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echoerasound

Hey y'all,

I bought a pair of KMS85i's with kk84 capsules and the foam removed from the baskets - they sound great, but I hadn't realized how low the output was with these mics. I've been reading a bit on mods, and am capable with a soldering iron - done tons of installs and repairs on things though I'm far from an expert on circuits etc - but I'm finding lots of conflicting information. Figured it'd be best to start a clean thread, so does anyone know of mods to these mics that bump the output up a bit?

Or, does anyone here know who I can contact about getting them serviced and modified? I'm open to both possibilities. Thanks very much y'all!

Hi and welcome!

I also have one of these. Great mic!
Here is the schematic for reference:
Neumann KMS85.jpg

I assume you've read my thread about this mic?
You can reduce C2 to increase gain a bit. You can try it without too. For me it did not work but would be interesting if it works in your mic.
I replaced the tantal capacitors and the high ohm resistors.
I was lucky and got some bottom connectors for cheap on ebay. I can look if I still have one. That way you can take the mic out of the bigger housing and have a poor man's KM84 ;D
Compared to my original KM84 I can not hear any difference...
This is my KMS85.

IMG_2287.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back