First Power Amp Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonzai_Musik

Hi everyone,
I'd like to build a solid state power amp between 20 / 50W, I didn't find some projects like that on the forum, so could you point me out to some simple projects ?
I've already made some format 500 preamp builds but that's it. Also I want this amp for a listening station of vinyls ( I'm hoping to build some speakers next).
Thanks and happy new year !!

Hi everyone,
I'd like to build a solid state power amp between 20 / 50W, I didn't find some projects like that on the forum, so could you point me out to some simple projects ?
I've already made some format 500 preamp builds but that's it. Also I want this amp for a listening station of vinyls ( I'm hoping to build some speakers next).
lots of great stuff on the elliot sound page. havent built any of his power amps, but they other projects of his ive done are great.

https://sound-au.com/projects-0.htm#pwr

Hi everyone,
I built my first DIY power amp back almost 50 years ago....

The nice thing about your power point is that for only 50W or less you get away with a single complimentary pair of power transistors (I've seen lots of 75W amps using only a single output pair.)

I am ASSuming a conventional class A/B amp. No need to get fancy with class G/H for that little power.

If you want to be slick you might do something Class D.

IMO you should start doing some homework looking at schematics of other amps in that <100W power range. I recall many in that power range having repairs discussed here (in the LAB) so you don't have to search very far. Look at several amplifiers and you will start to see common topology features, like input LTP (long tail pair or differential pair), interstage level shifter, predriver, etc.

Been there done that.... my first amp was 4 channels 250W@ 8 Ohms which was actually a big amp for back then. Good luck, have fun.

JR

PS; If you can find a junked, broken one, you might be able to use the power transformers and heat sinks, or just fix it. :cool:

You won't find power amp projects around here, they mostly clone vintage gear. I suggest you build for more power, 50W is fun but if it sounds really good you'll want to turn it up. I built a solid state amp about 20yrs ago (tube amps is more my thing) that I still use everyday as my monitor amp. It can drive 4 ohms at a couple hundred watts and remain barely warm to the touch with the back of your hand. I made the heatsinks with a bunch of U aluminum and an L bars. I went as far as to wind the toroidal power with two secondaries and fed each channel with its own PS.

Last edited:
Back