flickinger cards???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok update

i went with some replacement transistors and new caps/resistors on one card to see what the differences would be. ( 2n5210 for the npn and 2n5087 for the pnps both matched) so i hooked up to a new jlm acdc power supply for the + / -24 volts and my current limiting resistors 10R are cooking on the new rebuilt card AND the old cards.

voltages are dead on coming out of the JLM. the idea here is that some componet is drawing too much current ?? what to look for?

second plea

everything matches the PRR sechmatic. voltages are solid. Ive tried rebuilding 2 cards and the 8 original cards and they all start to burn the 10R resistors. I have +24V on pin 8 and -24V on pin 1 ( EDIT: schem updated) as per PRR schem. anything i could be overlooking? there are no shorts to ground... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Replace the 10R -emitter- resistors with 1K.

If that smokes, you done something WAY wrong. (Polarity backward? Ask why I thought of that right-off.)

With 1K emitter resistors, see what voltages look way wrong. It won't drive a heavy load but it should drive its own NFB network and most modern audio inputs.

Thanks

Yeah polarity was my first thought because I haven't altered most of the cards so if they are smoking it is likely to be polarity of the +- 24v supply. I triple checked it against your schem. Ive memorized it! Ill keep trying

10k seem ok for the feedback pot?

thank you thank you

my 4.7uf caps to ground were backwards. hooked them up with carnhills ala slender chap (thanks colin!) they sound great. 2 down 8 to go!!! ill adjust the schem for those caps and post sounds if anyone is interested.

again PRR thanks

you know, I haven't really studied the schematic, but upon first glance these seem somewhat similar to the spectra sonics 101/110. Anyone know anything about possible similarities?

Does anyone have pinout info for these flikinger preamps cards ?

gain control and transformer wiring info ?

I have a few of those cards. I will dig through some paperwork (all hand written by me) and get you the pin outs. PRR helped me get them up and running with a couple of mods. I ended up with +- 18V to supply.

The input xformer is UTC O12 the output is UTC A22.

Sounds fantastic on drums! (very vintage :) )

Attached is the attenuator in front of the O12

Attachments

• U_Attenuator.jpg
    U_Attenuator.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 108
Thanks , for posting the attenuator switch info

the additional hookup info ( edge conector ) Pin info would be great !!!

I thought these cards were run on +/- 24 ? , why did you choose +/-18 ?
any headroom change ?

Indeed, The UTC iron must do very well with these cards. I imagine that
Edcor would work nice on the outputs too. Edcor (600:600 or 1:1) makes a
really nice output transformer for the $$

Are you running the UTC 0-12 , as 1:2 , step up ?

all quiet on this topic ? no one ones to go public with this I understand.
this is not a commercial endevour for me , just for my own use.

Pinout info / pics can be sent to

email : electrochronic(at)ymail(dot)com

I have never heard or even seen a Flickinger amp, but beeing a huge spectra sonics fan I have been following these threads with great interest.

This is what the pinout looks like to me, from the pictures above:

pin 1 -24V
pin 2 NC
pin 3 NC
pin 4 pos input
pin 5 agnd
pin 6 agnd
pin 7 Capacitor coupled  Out
pin 8 +24V
pin 9 dc coupled output
pin 10 neg input

..but you might want to double check that.

I most certainly am NOT going to find a box of 10 cards, so I am leaning towards putting something together on veroboard to try out.

What I am missing is what npn transistors were used.. 2n3566 like Spectra Sonics? ..oh and values of the larger polarized (tantalum 150D?) capacitors. Output looks like 330uf?

In 76 I was service mgr. for the MCI dealer in Nashville. Did a bit of work on the Flickinger @ Cindrella as well as refurbishing the 16tk JH10 recorder. The flat pack transfromers were labeled Utrad; I believe they were later bought by Triad. There were no schematics so progress was slow & painful. Dan had some innovative ideas but w.o. schematics it was a pain.

I seem to have neglected this forum last few years.  ::)

Anyway, I still LOVE my flick preamps. I have 16 of them racked, many thanks to PRR.
I kept them in their original case, re-capped and modded to PRR's suggestions (although at 18V rather than 24), with just the attenuators and no output control.
Works great like this for loud sources like drums. For vocals I patch into my GSSL for some clean gain.
They are priceless.

I am posting some info originally from PRR, and my pinout drawing.

Attachments

• flickinger 1 copy.jpg
    flickinger 1 copy.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 102
Back