focusrite console documentary

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already knew the story behind the FF, but this is a very cool documentary. The story about rebuilding the trashed FF is inspiring

But.... what do I see in the picture at 27.21  ...... ?!? That's not from the FF.

These old consoles are such a sight to see in person. I went to Dallas last year to pick up a Neve console frame. The guy I got it from was really quite cool and let us dig around his storage unit to get all the bits and pieces out. It was pretty packed in, all console pieces but mostly 5x series Neve stuff. I removed one of the Neve buckets and right in my face was a bucket of the Forte console. Absolutely insane to see that thing knowing how rare they are. After clearing more space he had 64 channels with the power supply (80 amps and stacked to the ceiling). Unfortunately the pre/eq modules had all been parted out but the remainder was intact. A beautiful piece of gear sitting in storage, unused for years and will probably never be used again. He did make an offer to sell that wasn't unreasonable. I can find his contact information if it's of interest to anyone.

Edit: after reading the Focusrite wiki and finding pics, this was a Focusrite Studio Console instead of the original Forte (only two Forte's were built).

Indecline said:
These old consoles are such a sight to see in person. I went to Dallas last year to pick up a Neve console frame. The guy I got it from was really quite cool and let us dig around his storage unit to get all the bits and pieces out. It was pretty packed in, all console pieces but mostly 5x series Neve stuff. I removed one of the Neve buckets and right in my face was a bucket of the Forte console. Absolutely insane to see that thing knowing how rare they are. After clearing more space he had 64 channels with the power supply (80 amps and stacked to the ceiling). Unfortunately the pre/eq modules had all been parted out but the remainder was intact. A beautiful piece of gear sitting in storage, unused for years and will probably never be used again. He did make an offer to sell that wasn't unreasonable. I can find his contact information if it's of interest to anyone.

Edit: after reading the Focusrite wiki and finding pics, this was a Focusrite Studio Console instead of the original Forte (only two Forte's were built).

Have you watched the documentary?  It sounds like the one you are talking about is featured in it! (being used to rebuild a flood damaged console).

beatnik said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJd8606oNNk&feature=youtu.be

i found it quite fascinating!

Pedantic note: SST is not in Hoboken, it's up the street in Weehawken.

SST has had a gear (PA and backline) hire business forever, and when I worked at the small club Maxwell's (which was in Hoboken), I was always over there, getting monitors or back line or whatever the band-du-jour required, and often renting vans for weekend jaunts with whomever hired me. The PA and such gear was stored in a back warehouse area, which evolved into a rehearsal stage. At some point, John Hanti and Roy Cicala (a lovely man, RIP) backed a small trailer into the garage door, sealed it off, and built the control room and started recording. I spent a few evenings wiring patchbays and such. Roy put the old Record Plant main monitors in the trailer such that when you're mixing, they were behind you. 

I moved west in 1997 and during that time, they obviously went all in with the studio, and in 2008 when I started doing gigs with this band I mix live, I had to rent a van from them and John gave me a tour of the place. What a nice, nice room.

Then the flood.

One of my oldest and best friends is an entertainment attorney and his office has been in the same building as the SST studio for some years. His office is on the same floor level as the studio, and was also under water during the flood. I should note that this floor level is about six feet above the ground level, and they had about three feet of water in the building. My friend kept his vinyl collection at the office, and lost a good chunk of it to the flood. But he had a good perspective: "I lost records, Hanti lost his studio, other friends in Hoboken and elsewhere lost everything."

anybody know what model Lundahl xfmr was in those consoles?

thanx!

found this so it is probably the 1538>

"At the heart of the ISA Two is a pair of Lundahl LL1538 transformers. ISA products have relied on Lundahl from the beginning, since their components were originally specified in 1985. The LL1538 features a 3-section winding, resulting in very low leakage inductance and, as a result, an extended frequency response. They’re encapsulated in mu-metal cans to shield them from stray magnetism."

It should be noted that the video was done by Focusrite AFTER the Phil Dudderidge takeover, and from what I've seen it largely ignores the consoles which I regard as the REAL Focusrite boards... numbers 1 and 2.

The "real" ones were INLINE. all the rest were all-input, and had no second fader. -They're a logistical nightmare if you're recording a large band, because you need to use input modules for all the incoming mics etc. and MORE input modules to monitor all the tape returns.

Unless you're mixing in the box, in which case, have at it... but I'm sure most people would find the idea of owning a preposterously huge console and then mixing in the box a little absurd.

I'll take the Master Rock console. No other Focusrite will do, for me. -Sorry.

I was surprised that my ugly mug showed up in the footage from Madrid. I decomissioned that desk in Chicago and went to install in over in Spain. Here's a time lapse I shop of us taking it apart in Chicago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghBIwUbDzkM

It was also very sad to see that the one at SST is in such bad shape after the flood. I worked on that guy too before it moved up north.

Latest posts

Back