For the CNC people-what software are you using?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

For people with CNC milling setups-what software are you using for CAD/CAM?  I'm looking at a local community college and they use autoCAD and masterCAM, but masterCAM looks like it's really expensive for the lay person. 

Ideally, I'd really love to be able to import vector images for circuitboard and engraving. 

Are the CAD/CAM solutions integrated now so you just design in CAD and it imports easily into CAM and press "go"?

If you were talking about 3d toolpaths, then I would say there are a few options with a push a few buttons and go.

For 2d pockets and such, you still have to do some work. The depth and feeds and speeds are usually calculated for you depending on the Cam package.

For milling PCBs from gerber a look into copper cam or cambam.  If your design is in Eagle, then you can build your Goode from eagle.

For a free option, you could draw in draftsight and have AceConverter convert Dxf to gcode, but you will have to add tool and feed/speed info to the gcode. Inkscape also has some support for Dxf and I read there was a plugin for gcode generation. HeeksCam looked promising, but development has slowed down and maybe abandoned.

For 4 axis rotary check out desk Proto. Affordable and easy to use

Ventric looks like they make a quality product.

For 2d Cam, and if you use solid works, look into Hsm xpress.

I use Bobcad and I mostly like it. Sales staff is aggressive.  You can find a bargain on evil bay, but you will need to add $100 to transfer the license to your name.

Learn to code by hand. It's not too difficult and you will be better off even if you have the fanciest cam system.

Learn to calculate SF/M. Don't buy expensive cutters at first because you will break the so fast.

Good luck.

-Vetsen

I looked around at a lot of the software available and I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with V-Carve Pro. It's focused on engraving but can be used for general 2D CAD duties. It looks to me to have the best balance of features, cost and complexity for me.

Thanks guys.  I don't mind getting my hands dirty a little.  It's more important to have a system that will work well than to just press go.  I have access to autoCAD, so I'm just trying to figure out what else I need.  I will only be using this for a 3 axis mini-mill. 

Am I able to design in photoshop or illustrator, then import it into autoCAD and then have that go into some CAM software?  I ask because a large percentage of what I would want to do (PCB and etching) would always have the same z depth.

You might be able to start in illustrator and export DXF to a CAM program, but most likely not using photoshop since it's not a true vector program (I know it has paths).  Bobcad and Vectric (others as well) have a raster to vector tool that can work for somethings but if you are starting a design, I would just go with a good vector program.

Here is a youtube clip of a demo in Bobcad bobart https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe6vN1hV-F0

DAK engineering (makers of TurboCNC) makes a simple DXF to G-code converter.  It doesn't make the tool paths for you, but rather, converts dxf lines and arcs to geode, so you will have to offset the tool path in the dxf and save each depth to a different layer.  I don't use it, but I have tested it out.

Aceconverter: http://www.dakeng.com/software.html

-Vetsen

I would recommend against letting BobCad know that you exist.  They have a rotating herd of young go-getters that will call you regularly for years no matter what you tell them.  At the CNC trade show (IMTS), people avoid their end of the building.  It's that obnoxious.

I use Rhino for CAD and VisualMill by Mecsoft for CAM.  Both are excellent and much more affordable than AutoCAD/MasterCAM.  For a slightly more affordable option, I understand that Rhino now has a version with CAM built in.   

One thing to look at is whether the software is complete at the cost paid or has "options".  Some of the big guys will charge you for advanced cutting strategies, post processors, each seat, each year that you continue to use it, etc. 

edt:  I guess I hadn't had my coffee yet when I originally posted.  The CNC trade show is IMTS, of course, not NAMM.  Doh.

I'm using SprutCAM  and occasionally meshcam. Sprutcam is sold and supported by Tormach but is originally Russian software. It is a bear to learn, but has a lot of capabilities and you can make a very fast tool path (must think like Russian). MeshCAM is a $250 program that is fast to program, but runs the most inefficient tool paths I have ever seen, also makes mistakes, crashes and occasionally doesn't finish the last steps....... For really simple things that you don't want to spend 30 minutes to hours programming, it's the way to go. Just be sure to inspect your tool paths carefully, sometimes it does some really weird things.... like plunge into your part..... If you are going to be going into production on a part, use some higher end software like oneCNC, visualmill, MasterCAM, etc.... I am doing 4 axis parts so I needed something that would do continuous 4th ops, sprutCAM was the only one I could find that was under $3K.

Using CamBam and Mach3
Its a perfect combination for beginner.
Also its pretty time saving. I made my first cut after a few hours calibrating the machine and watching some videos about the software.
I am using a self made CNC machine.

Now after many months has passed I am still using the same set. It gets the job done.

But ofcourse you should do the initial drawings with CAD programs and save them as DXF and them move to CamBam for gcode.

We have Solidworks and Gibbs. Unless something has really complicated shape and needs lots of trigonometry calculations, usually, for my machinist it is easier and faster to write the program by hand from a simple "napkin drawing".

Best, M

I have Vectric Cut2D. Highly recommended. Easy to use, inexpensive and you can upgrade to VCarve Pro if you want to at a later date. But for machining and engraving panels Cut2D has everything you need.

I use wordpad. g-code is not so difficult. You need to know it anyway to check
the code your cam software spits out so as to avoid costly accidents. If you get to a point
where your really good you can write programs that are much faster than what cam software
can do.
I write from scratch but use software to draw and verify coordinates. YMMV

Latest posts

Back