Front Panel Measurements for an Existing Amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Hi All,

I'm currently restoring a guitar amp that was built by my late-Father. It's an early-Fender/Marshall-style Bassman amp head. I've managed to restore the cabinet (my Tolex-ing has vastly improved!) however the amp is still lacking a front panel (and a rear panel too although I might not bother with that).

In terms of controls the amp is pretty standard - two Marshall-style rocker switches, six pots, and four input sockets. Of course, what isn't standard is the location of these controls, so I can't use an off-the-shelf panel. I'd like to get a Marshall-style brass front panel made however what I'm not sure about is how to get the exact locations of the controls. Is there any way to do this without having to completely remove all the controls?

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks, yes I was thinking of something like that. I have some ancient "dial-less" calipers but I can never remember how to read the Vernier Gauge-thing! Maybe I should get some with a gauge.

I'm Olde School....still have an analog clock in the house. <g>

Seriously, eons ago when designing metal chassis parts, the old guy at the metal fab shop introduced me to a Mitutoyo (sp???) dial caliper. I'm stuck in my ways now...LOL!

Nri

I own the 3 sorts...

-Digital calipers are nice but subject to Murphy's law. Whenever you grab them for some important measurement, that's when you run out of batteries!

-Dial calipers are nice but you need to check that the dial is properly set up, then read twice (once along the scale, then once on the dial for the decimal)

-At the end of the day I mostly rely on the good ole vernier as those never failed me down!

Axel

This is something I do frequently. The best option is to remove the controls, and do a "rubbing" of the faceplate onto paper. The edges and holes become apparent, and you can measure a flat surface. You just lay the paper against the front panel, and lightly scribble across it with a flattened end of a pencil, or a short crayon that has it's paper removed.

Latest posts

Back