Fryed Aux-Sends on my Allen&Heath ZED12

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerEber

Dear friends,

I have an A&H here in my studio and yesterday my Aux sends 1 and 2 stopped working and I had no clue why.
I suddenly could not get output from Aux 1&2. They are also used for a record send to the internal USB-Soundcard.
My only Idea at the first moment was that I was so to say a victim of a some production flawes and that I have to check If I still have warranty on this and that I need to find the bill. Leaving the unpleasant task to send it back and have no mixer for a while.

So today I connected my very old Aksi S20 sampler to the Aux 3 and after a short time I recognised electonic smell.
That was very unexpected. I quickly checked the mono adapter for faults and a measurement of the input of the sampler.
30k, so no short anywere.

I now recognised that leaving the sampler unconected there is an AC Voltage of 80V between the Ground of the Sampler and the Ground of the mixer.
Seems like to be a parasitic build up through the Sampler PS.  Tapping both Groungs with my fingers reduces the Voltage to 12 V.
So not much current in the game.

Now I try to figure out whats going on and leaving the question if thats still a warranty case or I have some other problems with my Akai.
I think the mixer has balanced Sends, but still even shorting the terminals should not fry the outputs.
Also the parasitic Voltage build up due to the Sampler-PS sould not be such a problem.
But I have no expirience if this is exeptional high or seems like a PS fault.
I once measured 50 Volt between my PC and the external USB-HD. Still running.

What do you think?
Best case for me is that A&H already knows that they had a flaw in production I get a new mixer and thats it.
Worst case. I have to pay for the repair and continue breaking mixers with my sampler.

best Greetings,
Stephan

Ok, I measured the floating wall wart of my DJ Mixer to the A&H ground gives 50Volt AC.
It goes down to 8V when I touch the terminals. So for me it looks like my Sampler wall wart isn't totaly wrong.

Any opinions on my case?
I'd really like to open the mixer and start soldering...... but the waranty....  ;D

best,
Stephan

The leakage current on an ungrounded wart "probably" should not blow up audio ports. As you say, your body resistance greatly reduces the voltage.

Thanks PRR,

now the case is clear.
Aux 3 and FX gone dead today. I did not plug any in the outputs.
I'll send it back.
That said I must state, that I really like the sound of this mixer and also the USB-Audio card is quite dope!
Too bad this happened.

Latest posts

Back