G7 alive and beautiful!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="zebra50"]
Glad you got there in the end. Was it one thing, or a few issues? Multiple problems can be really hard to track down.[/quote]

Slightly odd. R15 (series resistor feeding LT regulator was open circuit).

Both primary connections to transformer leaking to other tracks on PCB due to being too close. Caused oscillation and motorboating sounds due to feedback path.

Rewired fuse into circuit. As standard this unit should be illegal. Filed chassis where earth tag attached to provide good continuity. Did the same for mains transformer frame as this was laquered.

Cleaned capsule connections on board and moved backplate connection direct onto coupling capacitor since pad was not in great condition.

Realised that cable and connectors provided are crap. Recieved a shock up my arm whilst moving XLR connector at mic end. Mic also cut-out when pushing XLR sockets. Added heat-shrink to cover internal pins, but cable is still not perfect. They are just crap.

Compared G7 with Dale M7 (and larger Nady body) to my Nady with 1/2 C24 (biased more akin to a Ela 251) with Dale M7 and original Chinese transfomer.

First impressions between myself and Boris: G7 with Sowter sounds "bigger" and has more detail/HF extension as well as significantly better LF extension. My mic with the original transformer sounds like it has a slow roll-off from somewhere quite high in frequency - say 200Hz and down. Very different sounds, but the same general character. Mine almost sounded like a band-linited version of the G7 and Sowter.

I will replace the transformer in mine soon with a Cinmemag and see if in particular the LF extension improves and will report back.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Good idea, Jakob!!

Thank you very, very much for putting such a lovely sounding device out there for anyone to appreciate!!!!! One BIG and proud sounding thing of beauty!!

Myge dejligt!!

:guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

Boris

[quote author="rodabod"]I will replace the transformer in mine soon with a Cinmemag and see if in particular the LF extension improves and will report back.[/quote]

I attempted to measure the difference with the new transformer by making a sine sweep recording and then weighting the before and after recordings against each other. Unfortunately this didn't prove to be of great use and I realised how lumpy the response of my room is.

I believe the difference in sound between my mic and Boris' G7 is mainly due to different revisions of the Dale M7 capsule. Boris' was a later revision. Mine does have a very strong proximity effect at close distances, but is definitely lighter sounding at distances. Should be good for vocals I reckon, so I'll try that soon.

So I've had this beast up and running for a bit and generally it sounds gorgeous....

Ended up re-wiring the entire mic p2p in the end and it's now tasty and proper on the inside. The pcb was looking a bit abused and unreliable....so the breadboard came out.

The one thing that still irks is the noisefloor. Fine on vocals, but not so great for instruments......and compared with soundfiles recorded with the pre-slaughter Nady 1050 it is still quite hissy.....wrong way around for my ideal case scenario....

Been through various tubes.....Siemens PF86's(x2), Tesla NOS EF806s(x2), Wing C EF86, ebay telefunken EF86, and a cryogenically treated Mullard EF86.......it seems all tubes vary little noisewise, some, but little.

A bit stuck as to why there is still a fair amount more hiss than there was in the original Nady (which is spec'd at 16db noise).....resistors are all old Holco metal filoms, apart from the 1G and 33M (Ohmite and tyco )....

If anyone can think of anything I'm missing I would be much obliged.

Boris

Could be a problem with the breadboard - the input connection to the tube - at 1GOhm - is very sensitive to dirt, humidity, and contamination.

If possible, try to float all components in the high-Z division directly off the tube socket's G1 pin..

If not possible, try cleaning thoroughly with purified water followed by isopropylene-alcohol.

Jakob E.

Thanks for the reply Jakob!

The part of board the tube socket is fitted through has been cleaned I don't know how many times with isopropyl and PCB cleaner spray, so has the part of the main breadboard with the 1g's and the styros, in fact the whole thing has been cleaned so much I fear I'm going to erode it...... :green:

Could it be that either me having used 0.5 W resistors or even maybe overheated a resistor or two in my clumsy and frequent early attempts is the cause? The thing has been redone lots by now and the components obviously still work, as it sounds great bar the noisefloor, but maybe one is degraded somehow through overheating...?

I also had a situation a week ago where the electrolytic's negative leg had come off the board (must have pulled it in the frequent 'open it for another clean' sessions...). It seemed to still function just the same though before I spotted it. Put it back, no difference......would this have caused damage to another component?

Definitely seems a good idea to seal the whole thing with pcb laquer once I've got it cleansounding......

[quote author="karloff70"]Any ideas I haven't entertained yet anyone? [/quote]

Yeah, how 'bout cutting some tracks... :razz:

[quote author="Marik"][quote author="karloff70"]Any ideas I haven't entertained yet anyone? [/quote]

Yeah, how 'bout cutting some tracks... :razz:[/quote]

Que? As in recording noisy music or as in severing connections in the mic ? :shock:

Latest posts

Back