G7 too loud

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ComodoComplex

I've just finished building my first G7 mic, with loads of inspiration from Curt's radioworld article. Here's some pics! (I've got a peluso shock mount on the way, by the way)

PSR5aEj.jpg

FXyHf2q.jpg

fR7UVKP.jpg

The capsule is a RK-12 from microphone-parts and the tube is an electro-harmonix EF-86

My issue so far is that when using a Tascam MKIII 424 4-track recorder, I have to turn the gain all the way down, and even then my bass drum pushes the tape into saturation. In this scenario, it clips as a room mic and as an overhead, so it's not exactly close-miked.

I'm wondering if something is wrong with my build, or if this is just a naturally very hot mic with the LL1538. One obvious solution is to build a 20dB pad. Would the sonics suffer from the use of a 20dB pad inside the PSU? Has anyone attempted this yet?

Thanks for your opinions!

Edit: images were too large. To see the full album, go here: http://imgur.com/a/oJf7W

Yes, the G7 is a rather hot mic, and can overload consumer gear on loud sources.

There's nothing wrong in building a (switchable) attenuator into the PSU box, e.g. two 2K2 resistors in series with + and - audio, then shorted by e.g. a 330 Ohm resistor.

Jakob E.

Thanks to you both!

I'll get right on adding a pad, so thanks for calculating those values for me ;D

So far the mic sounds good, but I think a future investment in a TC12 would benefit it greatly. As I'm just a college student however, that expensive option will have to wait. For now I'm just getting a NOS Amperex tube to replace the Electro Harmonix.

Latest posts

Back