G9 finished!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job, great photos & lots of interesing facts and opinions!

Actully I never noticed a 'breaking in effect' but mine ran for quite a few hours on the bench before I tested the audio properly. I'm just about to build my second G9 - can't get the first one back from the studio!

:thumb:

Super job done Chris!

Also, cool that you've mentioned about the burning in period, me too would be more or less disappointed at first then.

Would like to find out more about the influences of the different tubes you use.

Cheers,

Tony

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:13 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"G9 Tube Mic-Pre designed by Jakob Gyraf"

So Mr. Gyraf, how's your neck?

Sorry Jakob. I noticed this shortly after making up the web page. That will teach me not to do HTML at 2 AM. I'll fix this later this week.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I try to put up some audio samples later on with the different tubes, trafos, etc. I found a really cool way to shoot-out mic pres for electric guitars, which is to reamp the same DI guitar track so that I can listen to the exact same source material. I think it makes flipping between the different recorded tracks more meaningful.

After more listening, I also found a better way to describe the differences between the G9 and my Oram. I wouldn't call the Oram strident itself, I think it just wasn't smoothing over the Studio Projects C3 that I used for my Vox test as much. The biggest difference is that the Oram track has my voice sitting right inside of my speakers, very upfront, but very dry and slightly unnatural. The G9 has my voice right in the listening room with me, very diffuse. It's a very high fidelity amp and I'm not used to hearing myself this way. I like it though!

Regards,
Chris

Kubi,

The knobs are Eagle Plastic Devices sold by Mouser. They cost only $0.50 USD each. They are also very similar to the knobs the we can get at our local Radioshack in the US.

Regarding the tube/trafo differences, I am going to be doing more listening in the near future and will post some sound samples too. If I had to make a reccomendation right now, I like the OEP's for their extended bottom end and the Telefunkens for thier better clarity and imaging, although I have not tried the combo of the two yet. I need to order some EH, GT, JJ, etc. tubes and try them out too. Hopefully I'll have something together next week, because I'm leaving on a business trip in a half hour.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris

Nice build.

I see some really nice guitars in the background of the pics. I think that once you've plugged one into the G9 instrument input, it will be difficult to unplug it again...... :wink:

It is an awesome DI for a guitar, my favourite.

Peter

Latest posts

Back