G9 vs JLM Baby animal - blind test (audio samples)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A: G9

Thicker, more tubey :oops:

B: BA

Quicker, more detail, a little brighter

On this source I liked A better. I'd be reaching for B for acoustic instruments, OHs etc.

That's my very amateurish opinion anyway.

Cheers

Nick

This blind tests are always such a fun and are revealing the truth much more than if you would know
in advance which is which. Our minds are often doing tricks to us. I may post some more samples
between different BA combos soon. :wink:

Regarding the preamps:

A = BA
B = G9

Surprised?

Before I start recording vocals I do a shoot out through my different pres and so far I always picked the
all JLM iron BA. It just makes me smile every time. Thank you Joe for making these available to us!
Your stuff really rocks.

Regarding the G9 vs JLM BA I find the G9 a very nice pre but not the best one for the U195 mic which
captures the sibilants a lot and BA JLM acts just like a perfect deeser with plenty of warmth and details.
It has so nice warmth that many thought it was a tube pre :green:

You should hear the LA-2A after the JLM BA. It sounds like a killer recording chain.

[quote author="Purusha"]
Regarding the preamps:

A = BA
B = G9

Surprised?
[/quote]

HAHAHA, my favorite was A too... but anyway I prefer B ? Why ? Because that is mine! I just build it a month ago. Thanx Jakob for such a great project and Tat Purusha for the case.
The only other preamp I have is Drawmer 1960 which is far behind G9 ...
But this also mean, that JLM is one of my next DIY projects...
g9-1.jpg

g9-2.jpg

To match levels , because the louder one almost always sounds
better [ or stronger ] if you have two mics or Y'd it
put one channel out of phase and mono them changing one fader
until they null as much as possible ,
phase differences may prevent this from happening completely
but you should get close .

Also if you have the time , recording it on something so that you
take away the real time elusion of change [ or difference ] ,
from the equation [ you know , your eyes ]
Even better and if you can only do one at a time , recording a repeating
phrase and punching in without looking where is interesting on playback .

Good ear education !

Thanks Lampas for letting me have it for the shoot out :grin:

Okgb, regardless the possible difference in the levels I still prefer the JLM BA in this shoot out :wink:

<<<Regarding the preamps:

A = BA
B = G9

Surprised? >>>>

That's how I picked it. But perhaps someone can explain something for me. Notice the weirdness at the first "you" in clip B? (edit: I just listened to it again, and it is the second "you." You tell me who "you" are...)

1) What caused it?

2) How would I get rid of it if I had a fair amount of it in a recording and wanted to use it as the final take (hypothetically speaking)?

[quote author="Purusha"]
A = BA
B = G9

Surprised?
[/quote]

Yep!

It was a bit of a stab in the dark though, not knowing the mic, the singer, if the BA had variable input Z or not and never having used a G9.

I wouldnt have expected the BA to sound that bright with a 1:4 unless it was deloaded. But again, I didnt know what mic it was and a U195 is a pretty bright one.

Thanks for posting, Purusha.

M@

[quote author="Purusha"]
Regarding the preamps:

A = BA
B = G9

Surprised?
[/quote]

no

But I knew 2 facts: The BA has a incredible low end, and the G9 has a very smooth high end, with lots of overtones.

[quote author="mattmoogus"]

Yep!

It was a bit of a stab in the dark though, not knowing the mic, the singer, if the BA had variable input Z or not and never having used a G9.

I wouldnt have expected the BA to sound that bright with a 1:4 unless it was deloaded. But again, I didnt know what mic it was and a U195 is a pretty bright one.

Thanks for posting, Purusha.

M@[/quote]

The BA has a variable Z but it was set to exactly the same spot as if used the fixed resistor. I measured it just for fun to see what will be the difference.

[quote author="ChrioN"]

no

But I knew 2 facts: The BA has a incredible low end, and the G9 has a very smooth high end, with lots of overtones.[/quote]

It sure does, but I find the JLM even smoother on the highs :grin:

No offence but I don't really see this as a very fair comparison. The files are 2 different takes of the vocal. There's quite a bit of difference between the delivery in the 2 takes

There seems to be quite a bit of proximity effect, maybe the singer moved a little between the takes?

No offence but I don't really see this as a very fair comparison. The files are 2 different takes of the vocal. There's quite a bit of difference between the delivery in the 2 takes

There seems to be quite a bit of proximity effect, maybe the singer moved a little between the takes?

None taken :grin:

Sure, it was recorded two times but never the less you should hear just enough details
and get the idea how these two preamps stand next to each other. I think there is no need
to look for the needle in the hay.

Do you own any of them?

[quote author="Purusha"]None taken :grin: [/quote] :grin: Goodoh.

I just hear differences in the 2 files that could as easily be down to performance or mic position as much as preamps.

I built a pair of BA2s with 99Vs and JLM inout trannies. They're in a nice black case with a winged logo... :wink:

Not really used them to track vocals but I'm liking them on drum overheads.

You should definitely try this combo on the vocals as well, it may just become your favorite preamp :grin:

And it sure performs well on the drums too. Specially on the kick and floor tom IMHO :thumb:

we just did an A/B test of a behringer mixer's mic pre and my newly built BA (jlm14 + 99v) today at a class... ehm, can you guess which one was the clear winner :wink:

Back