Gates SA70 with 5840 tubes? Need help with biasing.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are right.

There is nothing wrong with trying new things by combining existing things. The result will just be something different. For this project, I'll probably stick with the original circuit (as far as it makes sense) since I'm already changing tube types. I'm actually interested in what influence the tubes have on the sound, in (almost) the same environment. Subminiature vs steel octal tubes - fight!

Ok, I modified my plans slightly, because the transformer and other components define the overall height of the mic pre and thus the size advantages of the 5840 do not really come into play.

Therefore now the larger version of the 5840, the 5654, 6Ak5w or also called E95F.

Here is a WIP design, almost ready for etching - the MINI SA70 :cool:

Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 22-37-06 Ein einfaches und leistungsstarkes Design-Tool für elektroni...png

Last edited:
Make sure to put radial cap pads on C9/C11 if you think this is gonna stick around.
I will do that, other components will also have variable footprints so you can use the components you have available. The current design represents what I have lying around.

Latest posts

Back