Gauge Microphones (Chinese) any info?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry

Another cheap Chinese mic thread I'm afraid. Does anyone have info on the Mic? They don't seem to have any specs up yet but there's a shootout with other mics.  http://www.gauge-usa.com/

I just looked at the site.   I did not see any specs like noise, transformer or transformerless output or response curves and read "ear tested" in the FAQ.   Are there spec available?

Henry said:
They don't seem to have any specs up yet but there's a shootout with other mics. 

Without knowing how the shootouts were made, I find them highly unreliable, esp. when they come from a manufacturer/distributor/re-seller. It is not unusual to see a mic sounding "surprisingly" close to U57 in a shootout. After that miraculously the same mic sounds suspiciously close to such a different mic from U57 as KH modded U47FET. Go figure... 

Best, M

Strange.

I actually HEAR a difference between the mics in the clips.  Usually you can't(because they doctor the clips and/or just use the same mic for all the clips).

The gauge mic is a little more boxy sounding in all of the clips.  The highs and lows aren't as pronounced and the mids have slightly less attack.

Other than that it sounds decent enough for the money I suppose.  I wouldn't choose it over my Gefells but it seems like a fair deal if they really do have the consistency that they claim.

I guess it's too expensive for gutting and DIY though.

Yeah, no specs, makes one quite suspicious. On the site, they say the preamp is an elcheapo ART tubemp which is really a leveler. If the the test were done through high end preamp the better microphones are gonna shine through. Looks like an ADK GC1 condenser to me which is an ok mic for $50 and sounded better than the NT1 when I A/B'd them in the Store.

Well
"  gold record winning engineers who are not doing this to get rich "

because you're not !
yeah , yeah me niether , just want to pay the bills this month

think they'd know better , so crimes of Omission ?
website doesn't seem so slick either maybe they just slapped it
quickly to see if they could cash in before the market is totally
saturated and Walmart starts selling chinese mics

Back