General relay questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

So far I've built a G7, a G9 and am currently starting on a GSSL and a second G9. I had always wondered about the relays used in the G9 for input switching. I have also noticed that relays were suggested in a GSSL thread for make-up gain bypass (with a DPDT lighted pushbutton bypass switch). I understand that relays (both SSR and solenoid) are often used for switching high voltage/high current sources that would fry a normal mechanical switch or could be potentially dangerous if shorted.

What is the design consideration in having them in audio devices?

Would there be any negative results from using a 2x6 Lorlin to do both bypass and makeup gain bypass on the SSL?

-Chris

[quote author="Emperor-TK"]
What is the design consideration in having them in audio devices?
[/quote]

Relays are better and more reliable at low signal levels than ordinary mechanical switches.

Also it often reduces need for long cable draw with weak signals.

And wierd switch-combinations are easily available.

Jakob E.

Makes perfect sense now Jakob, thanks. So since audio isn't passing through the sidechain on the GSSL, would I still need a relay here? Is the issue that the control voltage is a weak signal? Ideally I'd like to just use a 2x6 Lorlin if that would work.

-Chris

The DIY'ers using a relay for bypass on the SSL-clone do so because the Push-type EAO) switch they use is only two-pole - the comp needs both, so they're one short to turn on the light. Thus the relay, as a "switch extender"

A rotary Lorlin will do fine - I use that.

Jakob E.

Ahh - the penny is now starting to drop

Can I use a relay with this switch
http://www.beckwithelectronics.com/EAO/Series19.htm
(the N.O. maintained - ie. latching - low level version)

To do the 4 pole and 2 pole duties in the Calrec Eq

They are used in the Manley Line Mixer to do Mute and Solo duties

[quote author="gyraf"]UK - yes, just about any switch - when combined with a 4-pole relay (or two two-pole relays) will do fine for the calrec shelve switches.[/quote]
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
I will raise another thread to ask for advice on how to implement

Latest posts

Back