Getting ripped off by Hakko.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

Why do we get royally fleeced by Hakko if we need a 230v version of the FR301 ? I'm just replacing my very tired but faithful Hakko 808 after a load of desk recaps etc over the maybe 15 years I have had it.

If one buys a 100v version of the FR301 it can be had in the U.K for £155 new from ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20404218...6&customid=urXZlukTAAAAuyBxbCOc4MO2X98kAAAAAA
If you want a 230v version from Hakko U.K it's £362 ex VAT
https://hakko.co.uk/product/fr-301-portable-desoldering-gun/
One might ask why I don't use a step down transformer and buy a 100v version but a lot of my work is on location in London and elsewhere. Sometimes I travel on the train to get there & need to travel light, so it's not a viable option for me.

I ended up buying a 230v version from this place which is around 25% cheaper than I can get it from Hakko U.K. Fortunately I can get it delivered to my place in France to avoid import tax. It's obviously a worthwhile discount but with shipping etc it's still nearly double what the 100v version would be........
https://eleshop.eu/hakko-fr-301-desoldering-gun.html

Strange. My local online electronics shop has them for 260€. Amazon 250€. But all prices in UK£ I see are around a 100£ more...

That's an expensive mains plug for the UK. Or is it the extra red tape since brexit?

Maybe you didn't read my original post ...
I have a transformer I move around, I don't think that it is a big problem nor a big load on my backpack. I believe there are switching inverter supplies that bump up or down the voltage and are quite light. But if you prefer paying the extra 200 pounds, that is ok as well. Hakko may not sell as many of their products in the UK as in the US, so having a 220V version might involve higher production costs,.

This thing costs 20 USD and weights 0.6 lbs, and can handle 1600 W. The dimensions are clearly wrong, since it is not possible it measures 21.6 inches in lenght, most probably it is 2.16 in

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsonite-converter-adapter-kit-red-black/9419572.p?skuId=9419572

Last edited:
I have a transformer I move around, I don't think that it is a big problem nor a big load on my backpack. I believe there are switching inverter supplies that bump up or down the voltage and are quite light. But if you prefer paying the extra 200 pounds, that is ok as well. Hakko may not sell as many of their products in the UK as in the US, so having a 220V version might involve higher production costs,.

This thing costs 20 USD and weights 0.6 lbs, and can handle 1600 W. The dimensions are clearly wrong, since it is not possible it measures 21.6 inches in lenght, most probably it is 2.16 in

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsonite-converter-adapter-kit-red-black/9419572.p?skuId=9419572
It may not weigh much but I'm travelling with a big tool bag & quite often a couple of repaired rack units too. Now I'm not sooo young I have been trying to reduce the weight of what I carry.

It may not weigh much but I'm travelling with a big tool bag & quite often a couple of repaired rack units too. Now I'm not sooo young I have been trying to reduce the weight of what I carry.
I understand, I guess that, in the end, it boils down to what feels heavier for you: 0.6 lbs or 200 pounds (pun intended)

Maybe it's such a low volume product the heater element costs more? How much more is the raw replacement element for the 230v vs 110v version?

Why do we get royally fleeced by Hakko if we need a 230v version of the FR301 ? I'm just replacing my very tired but faithful ............
For exactly the same reason I had said eff you and bought 120V version and used it with a step down tx that I had bought from Maplin (no longer in business)

Mine also packed in last year. I could not get parts. So, I got a couple of these for the workshop and working great.

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d01849/desoldering-iron-sucker/dp/SD0170287?CMP=i-ddd7-00001003

Maybe it's such a low volume product the heater element costs more? How much more is the raw replacement element for the 230v vs 110v version?
It's not going to be that low. All of Europe is on 230v & if you look at the following wikipedia page it would appear that more of the wrold is on between 220v to 240v than at 100v to 115v. Mains electricity by country - Wikipedia

For exactly the same reason I had said eff you and bought 120V version and used it with a step down tx that I had bought from Maplin (no longer in business)

Mine also packed in last year. I could not get parts. So, I got a couple of these for the workshop and working great.

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d01849/desoldering-iron-sucker/dp/SD0170287?CMP=i-ddd7-00001003
I never knew such things existed. I still use a solder sucker in one hand, a soldering iron in the other with the PCB gripped between my knees!

Think I will treat myself to a couple of these for Christmas.

Cheers

ian

Hi Ian,

I was indeed like you, a hard core manual desoldering pump user of many years, until I botched a couple of audio transformers that were very tightly soldered. Then I bought the Hakko.

I also have another tool that I use for those pesky solder nodes that do not want to clear up. Pin vise and set of fine drill bits in increments of 0.1mm in diameter. Solder is not clearing up? Drill it.

So, perhaps you add this in to your Christmas treat list too.

Attachments

• z_pinvise.jpg
    z_pinvise.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 2
Hi Ian,

I was indeed like you, a hard core manual desoldering pump user of many years, until I botched a couple of audio transformers that were very tightly soldered. Then I bought the Hakko.
For transformers I use a heat gun. That way you can heat up all the pins at once, give the board a sharp tap and the transformer drops out.

Cheers

Ian

Here is the inside of an FR-301. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 5F6A9CD5-B947-441F-BC58-027031188D45.jpeg
    5F6A9CD5-B947-441F-BC58-027031188D45.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 9A0455FB-FF06-4EF7-88E0-1263ABD59680.jpeg
    9A0455FB-FF06-4EF7-88E0-1263ABD59680.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
It wowuld be interesting to make an internal comparision between a 230v version and a 120v version.
My guess is that to change to a different voltage you change the value of the power resistors. Everything else is SMD. Probably had the PCB’s manufactured already stuffed except for the through hole for voltage selection.

have you tried..?

U.K.
(Including Northern Ireland)
icon_distributors.gif
HK WENTWORTH LTD.
URL: HAKKO UK – UK Authorised Distributor – HK Wentworth Group
Address: Ashby Park, Coalfield Way, Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire, LE65 1JR, United Kingdom
Domestic Toll Free: 0800 958 9454
TEL: +44-1530-448950
Email: [email protected]

Back