Good input/output transformers under $50?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some  oep a262a7e extra(http://www.canford.co.uk/ProductResources/ig/2739.pdf).
If you are interested, mail me we will arrange something

Cheap?

I have torn down old mixers to get input transformers.  This can be very cheap way, if you don't mind extra work to get at them, and to mount them (I have Eagle footprints for some of these).

Altec 1674 1678 1684 automatic mic mixers have some marked ALTEC/671-1323/651-8957 in them, square Mu Metal can, center tapped, 1:4 and 1:8 ratios. Tested pretty good, well shielded. These mixers also have a line output transformer in them (in the case of the 167x it is the same size as the api output trafo's I have not tried it though).

Some Altec 1700 series mixers have 1785A trafo's in them 1:4 ratio, also mu metal canned. These are wired with a mounting screw in the can.

Shure M68F series mixers had a decent sized 1:10 input transformer in it (they used them for output too, but I wouldn't suggest it). Also Mu Metal can.  Some are wired, with a mounding screw in the can, some are PCB mount.

I don't recommend The Shure 268 series mixers as a source, they had smaller transformers in them, center tapped 1:5 1:10), they are really small, and I would not suggest those but I have had pretty good results using them as a stepdown in a FET DI I made.

You can get any of these mixers cheap, the power supplies go with dried out caps and stuff, so they don't work and you can get them for as little as $10 (plus shipping which can be expensive on ebay).  Each has 4 to 8 input transformers. I have built some fine sounding DI's and a couple of preamps using them.  They sound good to me... I worry that they are easier to saturate than the Jensen, Cinemag, I have used or even the little beyer dynamic ones, but If you are into recycling, or really cheap... these are from when dinosaurs ruled the earth and people still wound transformers in the real world.

Latest posts

Back